[comp.sys.mac.misc] Why color?

RMG3@psuvm.psu.edu (01/17/91)

  This question has come up in our purchasing decisions here.  Given that
we do not have, and are not likely to get, a color printer what do we
_need_ color for?

  I do have a color screen at work myself.  But when asked what I did
that actually _required_ color, I did not find much.  Our work is in
scientific modelling and data analysis.  The only thing I found that
required color was a flow visualization package.  Nice to look at on the
screen, but we can't publish it so the value is limited.

  So, what do you do that the absence of color would make difficult or
impossible?  What is it that justifies spending extra money on a color
card and monitor rather than RAM and disk space?

 Thanks.  If there is significant interest, I will summarize of course.

Bob Grumbine

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (01/17/91)

In article <91016.113104RMG3@psuvm.psu.edu> RMG3@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>  This question has come up in our purchasing decisions here.  Given that
>we do not have, and are not likely to get, a color printer what do we
>_need_ color for?
>  So, what do you do that the absence of color would make difficult or
>impossible?  What is it that justifies spending extra money on a color
>card and monitor rather than RAM and disk space?

Heh, I used to be one of those hard-core B&W persons... I do mostly
publication design, and while "non-repro blue" guidelines in my DTP
package are kinda cute, they're not necessary. BUT... then I got a call
from one of my clients requesting that I do a slide show for her. The
35 slides grew to 45, 50, over 60, and I did every damn one of them on
an SE.  Did I have my fingers crossed when I sent that disk to the slide
imaging service bureau? Does a wild bear use toilet paper?

I think color slides on a B&W Mac qualifies as "difficult or impossible."
So does a digitized picture of three green seltzer bottles on my desktop,
for that matter, but somehow I don't think that's what you had in mind.

--K

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :