[comp.sys.mac.misc] Slowing down your Mac

rcnelson@icaen.uiowa.edu (Ryan Christian Nelson) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.160044.1136@csn.org> heuring@fred.colorado.edu (Vince
Heuring) writes:

>Are there any utilities that would allow me to slow down my Mac IIsi?
>My wife is trying to play Fool's Errand, and apparently it was written
>for a much slower mac, because one of the games goes so incredibly fast
>that it is completely impossible to solve.
> Vincent Heuring     Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering
> University of Colorado - Boulder        heuring@boulder.Colorado.EDU

In the archives at sumex, there is a Pretty Neat CDEV called 'Speed Chopper'.
Although it sounds like a helicopter game, it's really a device that allows
you to specify a 1-100 percent of normal speed performance drop for your
mac.  I've specifically used this on Star Wars, and a few other games.
It works particularly well on the old classic games written for the Mac plus
that run just a little fast on even the SE's.  On IIcx's, these are useless
without something just like this.

One particularly handy feature is the ability to 'upshift' and 'downshift'
with a shift-command-return as needed.  It even makes a noise that varies
in pitch; when upshifting, it goes up, and when downshifting, it goes down.
It's kind of like going in and out of warp drive... anyway, the author is
a great human interface programmer.

It's on Sumex as info-mac/cdev/speed-chopper.hqx   I highly recommend it.

I do, however, keep it on a separate 'Slowdown' startup disk that I only
boot with when I'm playing extra-fast games, or debugging screen drawing
software.  I'm not sure what other programs would think of it.

I, by the way, have no connection with the program, except that I'm a happy
user.