[comp.sys.mac.misc] Alphabetic listing of icons? Also, clean up without overlap.

ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) (01/15/91)

Is there any way to re-order the icons in a folder so that they appear
alphabetically?  I want to display the icons in the "Show by icon" or "Show
by small icon" format but I want them to be listed (and maintained)
alphabetically.

Also, is there a way to get "Clean up window" to move icons (or small icons)
into appropriate array positions such that they do not obscure or overlap one
another?  E.g., if an icon has a long name attached to it, the next array
position over to the right might be left empty (or whatever); otherwise it
would be the same arrangement as "Clean up window" normally creates.

Thanks,

-- Ashwin (ashwin@cc.gatech.edu)

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (01/15/91)

In article <687@mephisto.edu> ashwin@cc.gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
>Is there any way to re-order the icons in a folder so that they appear
>alphabetically?  I want to display the icons in the "Show by icon" or "Show
>by small icon" format but I want them to be listed (and maintained)
>alphabetically.

To do this, select all the icons, change to View by Name, drag them all
onto the desktop, immediately drag them back to the window (easy if you
don't accidentally de-select them!), and change to View by [Small] Icon.
They will be arranged left to right, top to bottom, in alpha order.

>Also, is there a way to get "Clean up window" to move icons (or small icons)
>into appropriate array positions such that they do not obscure or overlap one
>another?  E.g., if an icon has a long name attached to it, the next array
>position over to the right might be left empty (or whatever); otherwise it
>would be the same arrangement as "Clean up window" normally creates.

There are two ways to do this. Easy way: find a little program called
Layout and with it, offset every other icon vertically. (That is, rather
than lining straight across, your icons will look like this:

  **        **        **        **
       **        **        **

Hard way (not really so hard, but more dangerous): Use ResEdit to open your
Finder; open the LAYO resource; open the one thing listed in that window
(ID=128? something like that). Scroll down to the box labeled Icon Vertical
Phase (Phase, not Spacing) and change it from 0 to, oh, about 20. (Do not
use 32--I'm told that using a number exactly half of the Vertical Spacing
[which is usually 64] will cause some unspecified but dire result.) Close
everything and save. The usual ResEdit disclaimer here: Work only on a
copy of your Finder; do not attempt this on an original.

--K

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (01/15/91)

In article <42533@ut-emx.uucp> clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:
>In article <687@mephisto.edu> ashwin@cc.gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
>>Is there any way to re-order the icons in a folder so that they appear
>>alphabetically?  I want to display the icons in the "Show by icon" or "Show
>>by small icon" format but I want them to be listed (and maintained)
>>alphabetically.
>>
>To do this, select all the icons, change to View by Name, drag them all
>onto the desktop, immediately drag them back to the window (easy if you
>don't accidentally de-select them!), and change to View by [Small] Icon.
>They will be arranged left to right, top to bottom, in alpha order.
>
>>Also, is there a way to get "Clean up window" to move icons (or small icons)
>>into appropriate array positions such that they do not obscure or overlap one
>>another?  E.g., if an icon has a long name attached to it, the next array
>>position over to the right might be left empty (or whatever); otherwise it
>>would be the same arrangement as "Clean up window" normally creates.

  Or you can wait for System 7, in which case the Finder does both of these
things.  (Yes, I know I'm probably opening up a whole can of worms by saying
this...)

tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) (01/15/91)

Kathy Strong writes:

>In article <687@mephisto.edu> ashwin@cc.gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
>>Is there any way to re-order the icons in a folder so that they appear
>>alphabetically?  I want to display the icons in the "Show by icon" or "Show
>>by small icon" format but I want them to be listed (and maintained)
>>alphabetically.
>>
>To do this, select all the icons, change to View by Name, drag them all
>onto the desktop, immediately drag them back to the window (easy if you
>don't accidentally de-select them!), and change to View by [Small] Icon.
>They will be arranged left to right, top to bottom, in alpha order.

A shortcut:  You can do the dragging part in one step.  Instead of dragging
them all to the desktop, then back, just drag them to the grayed-out icon
of the folder they're ALREADY in.  (That icon is in the parent folder's
window, of course.)

  -- Tony

| EMAIL:       tonyrich@cs.wisc.edu     |  Look before you.           |
| Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself. |  He who hesitates is.       |

jnelson@gauche.enet.dec.com (Jeff E. Nelson) (01/18/91)

|>In article <687@mephisto.edu>, ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes...
|>Is there any way to re-order the icons in a folder so that they appear
|>alphabetically?  I want to display the icons in the "Show by icon" or "Show
|>by small icon" format but I want them to be listed (and maintained)
|>alphabetically.

Absolutely, but it takes periodic maintenance on your part to see that
the icons stay in alphabetic order. Here's how it works:

1. Open the folder containing the icons. Call this folder "child" and
the window containing the icons the "child window". Call the window
which contains the child folder the "parent window."

2. Move the child window so you can see the blackened child icon in the
parent window.

3. With the child window selected, choose "select all" from the edit menu.

4. Choose "show by name" from the view menu.

5. Drag the selected icons to the child icon in the parent window and
release the mouse. That is, you're picking up all the files in the
folder and copying them back to the same folder.

6. Choose "show by icon" or "show by small icon" in the view menu.

Your icons are now sorted alphabetically.

|>Also, is there a way to get "Clean up window" to move icons (or small icons)
|>into appropriate array positions such that they do not obscure or overlap one
|>another?  E.g., if an icon has a long name attached to it, the next array
|>position over to the right might be left empty (or whatever); otherwise it
|>would be the same arrangement as "Clean up window" normally creates.

Technically speaking, what you ask for is not possible: you can only
have one default icon arrangement active at once. However, if you know
how to use ResEdit, you can modify the LAYO resource in the Finder to
change the default icon arrangement to whatever you want. There are
applications which modify the layout which are easier to use, but I
don't have a directory handy to tell me what or where they are. I
suggest looking for something with "layout" in its name on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

-Jeff E. Nelson
-Digital Equipment Corporation
-Internet: jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com
-Affiliation given for identification purposes only