[comp.sys.mac.misc] Networking two Macintoshes: what do I need?

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (01/17/91)

 I'd like to network a IIci and an SE. They are in close proximity to each
 other.

 Appletalk is fine, as high transmission speeds are not a priority, and I'd
 like to trade off hassle vs. cost. I know, for example, I could tie the two
 together with a serial line and use Kermit to transfer files, but I'd prefer
 a method that would let me mount a folder(s) from one machine on the other
 (preferably two-way--i.e. a folder from the ci mounted on the SE and vice
 versa at the same time). Security is not important.

 What products do I need to accomplish this? I know there's a shareware thingy
 called Public Folder--will this do what I need? How about hardware to connect
 the two machines? What are these PhoneNet things?

 Thanks for any help, I'm new to this!

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/17/91)

In article <19076@shlump.nac.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>  I'd like to network a IIci and an SE. They are in close proximity to each
>  other.
>
>  Appletalk is fine, as high transmission speeds are not a priority, and I'd
>  like to trade off hassle vs. cost. I know, for example, I could tie the two
>  together with a serial line and use Kermit to transfer files, but I'd prefer
>  a method that would let me mount a folder(s) from one machine on the other
>  (preferably two-way--i.e. a folder from the ci mounted on the SE and vice
>  versa at the same time). Security is not important.
>
>  What products do I need to accomplish this? I know there's a shareware thingy
>  called Public Folder--will this do what I need? How about hardware to connect
>  the two machines? What are these PhoneNet things?

If you want to mount the other machine's disk you can use TOPS.  It
works pretty well, but consumes a fair amount of resources on the
machines it runs on (both CPU time and Memory).

Public Folder was written for your situation, I had two machines on
my desk and they couldn't exchange files - so I wrote Public Folder
to do that.  It *doesn't* provide volume mounting, what it does provide
is a way to easily transfer files from one machine to another (if
you use Unix, think of it as FTP for the Mac (sort of)).

You designate a file on your machine as the Public Folder and any files
or folders placed there are available to others on the net.

-- michael peirce, author of Public Folder in a previous life...

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (01/18/91)

In article <0B010004.cbu2u6@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP writes:
>In article <19076@shlump.nac.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long)
>>  I'd like to network a IIci and an SE. They are in close proximity...
>>  Appletalk is fine, as high transmission speeds are not a priority, and I'd
>>  like to trade off hassle vs. cost. I know, for example, I could tie the two
>>  together with a serial line and...to transfer files, but I'd prefer
>>  a method that would let me mount a folder(s) from one machine on the other
>>  (preferably two-way--i.e. a folder from the ci mounted on the SE and vice
>>  versa at the same time). Security is not important.
>>  What products do I need to accomplish this? I know there's shareware
>>  called Public Folder--will this do what I need?
>>  the two machines? What are these PhoneNet things?
>If you want to mount the other machine's disk you can use TOPS. ....
>Public Folder was written for your situation, I had two machines on
>my desk and they couldn't exchange files - so I wrote Public Folder
>to do that.  It *doesn't* provide volume mounting, what it does provide
>is a way to easily transfer files from one machine to another (if
>you use Unix, think of it as FTP for the Mac (sort of)).

   I'm sorry but I must be either mighty dim, else missing something.  What's
that thing apple supplies with the system for free, AppleShare.  Doesn't that
do exactly what the original poster asked for ?
   In the repated question that went unanswered re: PhoneNet 'things'...
PhoneNet Connectors and connecting wire(s) are little boxes that 'convert'
the rs422/rs232 signal that comes out of your mac (s) and printer (s) and stuff
into a lower voltage signal with characteristics that lends it self to multiple
receivers/transmitters and long distances (on the order of approaching a mile).
These little passive hardware 'voltage/signal' converters are often confused
with the software protocool which is generally used with it (which apple
started out calling the same thing).
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

swsh@ellis.uchicago.edu (Janet M. Swisher) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.183928.16834@rodan.acs.syr.edu>
amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

>>In article <19076@shlump.nac.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long)
>>>  I'd like to network a IIci and an SE. They are in close proximity...
>>>  Appletalk is fine, as high transmission speeds are not a priority, and I'd
>>>  like to trade off hassle vs. cost.  I'd prefer
>>>  a method that would let me mount a folder(s) from one machine on the other
>>>  (preferably two-way--i.e. a folder from the ci mounted on the SE and vice
>>>  versa at the same time). Security is not important.
>>>  What products do I need to accomplish this? I know there's shareware
>>>  called Public Folder--will this do what I need?

>   I'm sorry but I must be either mighty dim, else missing something.  What's
>that thing apple supplies with the system for free, AppleShare.  Doesn't that
>do exactly what the original poster asked for ?

I think you're missing something.  The AppleShare chooser device
supplied with the System only allows you to be an AppleShare client.
There needs to also be an AppleShare server on the same network for
this to be any use.  Since a server is a dedicated machine, it's not
what Rich Long wants.  The two programs that I know of that I think
will do what he wants are TOPS (commercial) and SingleShare
(shareware).  They both allow you to make certain folders or portions
of your disk readable and writable by others on the network.  I'm not
certain, but I think SingleShare uses the AppleShare client software
on the remote end.

--
Janet Swisher			Internet: swsh@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago		Phone: (312) 702-7608

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (01/18/91)

In article <19076@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
> I'd like to network a IIci and an SE. They are in close proximity to each
> other.
>
> Appletalk is fine, as high transmission speeds are not a priority, and I'd
> like to trade off hassle vs. cost. [Stuff deleted]
>
> What products do I need to accomplish this? I know there's a shareware thingy
> called Public Folder--will this do what I need? How about hardware to connect
> the two machines? What are these PhoneNet things?

The "PhoneNet things" are an alternative to Apple's LocalTalk cabling.
The only difference is the kind of wiring and jacks; the Macintoshes
don't care whether you use PhoneNet or LocalTalk.  PhoneNet's big
advantage is that it can utilitize existing phone wiring that isn't
being used, so if you're wiring an entire building, you may not have
to lay new cable for the network.  If you're only hooking up a couple
of nodes in a single room, there's probably not much difference.  I
will say that Farallon's documentation is excellent (far superior to
Apple's, which has only the most basic and limited information).

Now for software.  Public Folder won't do exactly what you want.  PF
lets you transfer files from one network station to another, but it's
not file serving software: you can't use it to share a disk
continuously between two networked Macintoshes as you want to do.
Given your requirements, here are what I see as your best options.
Others with more familiarity may have better suggestions.

* TOPS.  TOPS is a distributed fileserver, which lets any Macintosh
"publish" part or all of its disk to the rest of the network, or mount
a disk that's been published by another machine.  You need a separate
copy of TOPS for each machine that will be either publishing or
mounting disks.  Disadvantages: as I recall, TOPS was rather
expensive (though maybe not for just a couple of machines).  Expanding
the number of TOPS stations on a network can be costly.

* SingleShare.  This is software based on a client-server model: one
Macintosh runs server software which publishes part (or all) of its
disk, while the other machines run client software to mount it.  On
the client side, SingleShare can use AppleShare workstation, which is
part of Apple's System software (version 6.0.3 and above).  Clients
cannot publish their own disks; they can only mount the server's.
SingleShare is a an alternative to Apple's AppleShare File Server,
which requires a dedicated machine to act as a server; SingleShare
runs in the background on a workstation.  Disadvantages: the
pre-release version I saw a while ago was kind of buggy.  I imagine
that the author has released new versions which are more stable, but I
haven't seen them, so I can't say.

* Macintosh System 7.0.  Apple's major revision of its System software
will have "FileShare," a workstation version of AppleShare File
Server, built in to the System.  This basically takes the place of
TOPS for file sharing.  It's free, and since it's part of the System,
it will be better integrated into the system than TOPS.  The beta
version that I've seen seems to work alright.  Disadvantages: you
may have to wait some time before before System 7.0 comes out.
The deadline has been continually pushed back for some time now.

Just to give some unsolicited advice:  if you can make do with Public
Folder for a while, I'd use that and wait for System 7.0.  Both
SingleShare and TOPS cost money.

> Thanks for any help, I'm new to this!

Good luck.

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) (01/18/91)

Hmm. Am I doing something wrong? I can never seem to get two macs connected
thru the phonenet boxes to work quite right.

MAC           	MAC	And Both are running Public folder-
|		 |	both have appletalk turned on.
|----------------|	Is there still something I need?        silly of me)
[]phonenet connex[]	I don't use responder- (Big Brother paranoia,

Is this really correct?
THIS way will work, though:

	MAC		MAC
	|		|
	|		|
	|---------------|
	[]phonenet conn.[]
			\_____________LocalTalk network

WHY?
'later! Thanx for any replies. . .

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) (01/18/91)

Check out DataClub.  THis is one hell of a product.  We had it for
evaluation purposes for a few weeks and I must say that I was amazed.

DataClub can run on one or more mac's in a given zone.  Free disk space on
all the mac's that it is running on becomes part of a "virtual disk".
Files are stored on the disk with the most memory, usually, but there are
controls to determine where the files goes, or not, and to move it once it
is there.  Full Appleshare is implemented including all security features.
Administration is a breeze.  Nodes that aren't running DataClub can still
mount the DataClub volume with standard AppleShare client.  If you turn
off your machine, all that happens is that the files on YOUR machine are
not accessible (grayed out when looked at).  Adding a new machine is as
simple as installing DataClub on it and booting.  Zone's can be joined via
a gateway mechanism.  Admin can access all files, and so backuping a whole
slew of mac's is REAL simple!

The configuration I settled on was that each person had his/her disk
defined to be self-store only (I.e. only the mac in question could store
on it's own disk), and not allow anyone else to store on anything but
their own disk.  What this built was a situation where anyone could access
anyone else's files, but their own files would still be on THEIR machine.

MacWeek had a raving review of this software this week.  Give it a look.

- Yossie

---

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov; yossie@fnccf.bitnet
What did the Caspian Sea? - Saki

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.224258.8630@midway.uchicago.edu> nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) writes:
|Hmm. Am I doing something wrong? I can never seem to get two macs connected
|thru the phonenet boxes to work quite right.

It would help me figure things out if you added some specifics.

Exactly _what_ doesn't work?  You mention that you have Public Folder installed,
but don't say that it doesn't work specifically.  Is PF the problem, or are
there other "never...work quite right" problems you're having?

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone