[comp.sys.mac.misc] Help Me Slow Down My IIsi!

heuring@fred.colorado.edu (Vince Heuring) (01/18/91)

Are there any utilities that would allow me to slow down my Mac IIsi?
My wife is trying to play Fool's Errand, and apparently it was written
for a much slower mac, because one of the games goes so incredibly fast
that it is completely impossible to solve.

----
 Vincent Heuring     Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering
 University of Colorado - Boulder        heuring@boulder.Colorado.EDU

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.160044.1136@csn.org> heuring@fred.colorado.edu (Vince Heuring) writes:

>Are there any utilities that would allow me to slow down my Mac IIsi?
>My wife is trying to play Fool's Errand, and apparently it was written
>for a much slower mac, because one of the games goes so incredibly fast
>that it is completely impossible to solve.
> Vincent Heuring     Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering
> University of Colorado - Boulder        heuring@boulder.Colorado.EDU

Hey! This is a definite problem- By the way, what exactly is the problem
in Fool's Errand? I've had no real problems with that game- I guess that
you're talking about the "game-let" where you have to press the buttons
in order? I thought that it was simply supposed to be impossible. But I've
done it, through patience and a TurboMouse (very very fast). Maybe the
wonders of youth enable me to have faster reflexes?

But seriously, I have just gotten StarWars (like the arcade game), and I
am in dire need of slowdown. (yes, I've done very very well there, but
I always get the idea that it's TOO fast.) BTW, I've got an SE/30. Running
on my room mate's SE, is too slow, as to be virtually unusable- a completely
different game. I wish that the SE/30 ran these games at around 75% speed or
so. It would be nice if it were adjustable.

My solution: Run lots of other programs at once. I have SingleShare Server
running, and I logged in a couple of times thru my rm's SE. Transferring
files, in particular slowed it down tremendously. But a quick way to die,
when the speedup kicked in again. Of course, I have 5 Megs to play with.
Also, I tested with MacMeter, and I am still unsure. If anyone has any sort
of idea, or news of a PD slower-down (pref. adjustable), Please send me
mail or, pref. post. I can't imagine that there is much use for this
except for in games. Anyone? I thank you all.

'later!

(no disclaimer, o'course)

sam@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Sam Tan) (01/18/91)

This is what you need.

Get your hands on an utility called SpeedChopper. It available from
comp.binaries.mac a while back. Does what you need.

Enjoy!

sam@wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au