[comp.sys.mac.misc] Restricting printer access thru chooser

apn177d@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (01/17/91)

   Does anyone know of a way in which certain printers on an
Appletalk network can be made un-available from the chooser
on certain Mac's?  We have a number of public access Mac's
connected to a colour printer and we would like to be able
to restrict access to that printer.

A thousand thankyous etc.

Leo Brewin.
Department of Maths.
Monash Uni, Clayton. Oz.

sam@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Sam Tan) (01/18/91)

apn177d@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:

>   Does anyone know of a way in which certain printers on an
>Appletalk network can be made un-available from the chooser
>on certain Mac's?  We have a number of public access Mac's
>connected to a colour printer and we would like to be able
>to restrict access to that printer.

Major task for working solution:

Change over to AppleTalk Phase 2.
Group all these printers in one zone. (Phase 2 considers zones as a logical
collection of entities, not by physical connection.)
Don't route the student zones into this zone.

Ta-dah!

sam@wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (01/18/91)

In article <6748@wolfen.cc.uow.oz> sam@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Sam Tan) writes:

   apn177d@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:

   >   Does anyone know of a way in which certain printers on an
   >Appletalk network can be made un-available from the chooser
   >on certain Mac's?  We have a number of public access Mac's
   >connected to a colour printer and we would like to be able
   >to restrict access to that printer.

A cdev was just posted on comp.binaries.mac which should let you do
this--with LaserWriters, at least (possibly more; I didn't download
it).

Love the Net!

--
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|