[comp.sys.mac.misc] Dataclub client/serverness?

bhall@pbs.org (Dark Star) (01/19/91)

In article <6619@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
> Dataclub certainly looks interesting from the reviews I've read here
> and in the Mac magazines.  One thing that I haven't seen made clear is
> whether or not every Mac that wants to access a Dataclub volume has to
> be running the full Dataclub software, or whether there's the
> equivalent of the Appleshare "client" software which may be used by
> any Mac on the network.

First the caveat: I don't had DataClub, but I have seen a demo and have a
brochure called "DataClub Technical Overview".

Since DataClub is a "virtual AppleShare" server, it (they :-) is accessed
through the Chooser and AppleShare.  The DataClub software would be resident
only on any Macs that provide part of their disk space to the virtual
server.

At least that is how I think it works.

--
Bruce Hall                     Domain: bhall@pbs.org
Public Broadcasting Service    UUCP:...{uupsi,vrdxhq,csed-1,ida.org}!pbs!bhall

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) (01/19/91)

DataClub software is necessary on a Mac only if you want that Mac to
participate in the virtual volume.  If you just want to look at the
volume, you need AppleShare client.  Simple? - Yossie
P.s. you pay only for nodes that are RUNNING DataClub, not those that are
accessing the volume.

---

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov; yossie@fnccf.bitnet
What did the Caspian Sea? - Saki