[comp.sys.mac.misc] Which do you like better: Smart Alarms or Alarming Events?

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (01/19/91)

Well, I only received three responses to my earlier inquiry, and I decided to
post them.  However, as fate would have it, this month's issue of MacUser
(Feb.? '91) has done a comparative review of the two packages!
It is on page 74.

						Jim Collymore

p.s.  I've decided to stick with Smart Alarms.

Subject: Re: Which do you like better:  Smart Alarms or Alarming Events
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.misc

In article <149@atux01.UUCP> you write:
>I am curious as to which program people prefer more and WHY they prefer it:
>Smart Alarms by JAM Software, or Alarming Events by CE Software.
>
>Please send me e-mail on what your experiences are with either program and I
>will post the responses.
>
>Thanks.
>
>						Jim Collymore
hi jim,
i've used both smart alarms and alarming events. while alarming events
IMO is much better than smart alarms, there is a serious drawback:
when using sys 7 alarming events becomes so slow that typing a single
word takes about 45 seconds. (that means if you have a long description
you will end up missing you date while still trying to type it in :).
now i don't know if they fixed that bug (i only had a demo version) but if
they have, AE is a terrific program

cheers,
christian.

In article <149@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) writes:
> I am curious as to which program people prefer more and WHY they prefer
> it: Smart Alarms by JAM Software, or Alarming Events by CE Software.

Note that the "Zedcor Desk" package comes with a DA called Desk Secretary
which implements similar functions.  Seems to me that there was something
called "Comment" that had these functions in it, and there are also some
shareware utilities.

I used Smart Alarms a long time ago, and currently use the Desk Secretary
part of Zedcor Desk.  I don't know enough about the current versions of
other packages to really compare Desk Secretary to them, though.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

In article <149@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) writes:
> I am curious as to which program people prefer more and WHY they prefer
it:
> Smart Alarms by JAM Software, or Alarming Events by CE Software.

I'm very fond of a shareware DA called Remember? by David Warker. The
original Remember? was somewhat limited and buggy, but the latest (V2.1.1)
is a very nice package. $20 shareware, an extra $5 gets you a disk with
the latest version and some other bits and pieces on it. It's available on
the Info-Mac archives at Sumex and various other sites.

I haven't done a feature-by-feature comparison of Remember? and the
packages you mention, but it certainly does everything I want.