[comp.sys.mac.misc] Freeware version of APPLESHARE software?

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.202923.27752@watserv1.waterloo.edu> axwrkshp@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Andrew MacLean) writes:

>Does anyone know of any free or shareware client
>software for the Mac which performs the same
>function as the Appleshare client program?  We
>are trying to hook up Macs to a SPARC Station
>through Ethernet.  We have Columbia Appletalk
>Protocol (CAP) on the Sparc, and NCSA Telnet on
>the Mac's.  However, to remotely access the
>Sparc's file system, we need the client software
>for the Mac.  Obviously we don't need the whole
>Appleshare package and are hoping somebody has
>heard of another package.

Apple's AppleShare client _is_ free, in the sense that if you've got a
Macintosh, you can get updates to the System software, of which
AppleShare client is a part (at least in versions 6.0.3 and later).
So to get the client software, you don't need to get the AppleShare
File Server package; just get a current copy of the System software
(6.0.3 or later), and use it to install AppleShare workstation on the
client Macintoshes.

In addition to CAP and the client software, you'll need a DDP/IP
(AppleTalk to Ethernet) gateway, like Shiva's FastPath or Cayman's
GatorBox.*  This is true whether your Macintoshes are on LocalTalk or
Ethernet; you need something to translate the AppleTalk packets to IP,
which is what the gateway does.  If the Macintoshes can communicate
with the SUN using NCSA Telnet, you probably have what you need
(unless your Macintoshes are on Ethernet and you're just using MacTCP
to send straight IP packets out over the Ethernet).

* There are software routers, like Liason, that allow a Macintosh
which is connected to both Ethernet and LocalTalk to act as the
gateway, without purchasing any additonal hardware.  To my knowledge,
none of them do the translation from DDP to IP, so they won't be
sufficient for what you want.

Hope this helps.

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }