[comp.sys.mac.misc] Possible to print disk directory to disk file?

lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Louie Crew) (01/21/91)

Is it possible to print a disk directory to a disk file?  I want
to add annotations and to collect all disk directories into a master
file.

  =====             Louie Crew:  lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu              ====
  =====  CompuServe No. 73517,147.  FAX 201-648-5700  Attn. Conklin #156  ====
  =====      Rutgers/Newark, NJ 07102 201-485-4503 h; 201-648-5434 o      ====
  =====                               or                                  ====
  =====                    Box 30, Newark, NJ 07101                       ====

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (01/23/91)

In article <Jan.20.13.00.36.1991.10885@galaxy.rutgers.edu> lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu.UUCP (Louie Crew) writes:

>Is it possible to print a disk directory to a disk file?  I want
>to add annotations and to collect all disk directories into a master
>file.

I've seen a program called DiskRanger that would catalog floppies to
a text file, letting you insert them sequentially (and rather quickly,
as I recall). I'm sorry I don't know who makes it or where you can get
it... perhaps another net.person can help out?

--K

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (01/23/91)

In addition to the one Kathy Cloud mentioned, there are a couple of
programs that do this sort of thing. One is called Cat.Mac that I
found through the BMUG library of shareware. Another possibility is
the Commercial program Vantage (which does a slew of other neat
things too!) that comes with a macro or x-command type thing that
will list files. And a third is the program called FileList (that I
think I will make my regular disk list program) that can be obtained
by anonymous ftp from sumex-aim (and probably from other shareware
sources too).
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

dagraham@vax1.tcd.ie (01/24/91)

In article <Jan.20.13.00.36.1991.10885@galaxy.rutgers.edu>, lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Louie Crew) writes:

> Is it possible to print a disk directory to a disk file?  I want
> to add annotations and to collect all disk directories into a master
> file.

Yes, I can think of at least two ways.

The first is to do 'Print Directory...' from Finder to a LaserWriter, but hold
down command-F (I _think_ that's what it is, I'm not sure). This will print to
a file instead of to the printer. However, since it's PostScript, I'm not sure
if you could extract the text from it easily.

The second (and easier) method is to use a little utility called FileList. This
will put the entire directory of all the files on your disc into a text file,
including pathnames, file Type, Creator, size and all the rest. You can use the
Pathname to filter out a _particular_ directory, and sort by whatever. Juggling
of the data is, I think, best done in FileMaker or Excel or something like
that.

      |	David Graham                                              |
      |	JF Comp Sci, Trinity College, Dublin.                     |
      |	Internet:  dagraham@vax1.tcd.ie                           |
      |	Glanmire Electronics Ltd., AppleLink: DUB.GE.RES          |
      |	* My employer has nothing to do with anything I may say*  |