[comp.sys.mac.misc] SAM causing printing problems?

James_J_Kowalczyk@cup.portal.com (01/21/91)

SAM refers to Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh.

I have a friend who has been having strange problems.
When he sends documents to the LaswerWriter NT (over the
network), his computer often "hangs" such that the pointer
can still be moved with the mouse, but clicking does nothing,
nor does the keyboard.  Furthermore, the disk icon(s) vanish
at this point.

Nobody else on the network has this problem, and one INIT/Cdev
which he is the only one who uses is SAM.  I have told him
to dump it and use GateKeeper and GateKeeper Aid and/or Vaccine,
but he likes SAM for some reason.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I think his machine is a IIci.

Thanks,

Jim Kowalczyk

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) (01/24/91)

In article <38301@cup.portal.com> James_J_Kowalczyk@cup.portal.com writes:
>SAM refers to Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh.

[Stuff Deleted]

>Nobody else on the network has this problem, and one INIT/Cdev
>which he is the only one who uses is SAM.  I have told him
>to dump it and use GateKeeper and GateKeeper Aid and/or Vaccine,
>but he likes SAM for some reason.
>
>Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

In the computer lab here at work, our SE (2.5 meg, 20 meg HD, if it matters, has been run with 6.03,.04,.05 since I've been here) has had Sam 2.0 on it, and
we've never experienced any problems with it... except that SAM and Disinfectanthave a big fight when trying to disinfect a floppy :-).

Why eould you prefer SAM?  Well, for one, it can LEARN your system.  If I get
a conflict with Gatekeeper, I have to go to the control panel and configure to
get rid of the problem.  With SAM we just hit the "learn" button.  Also, when
we got our DaynaFile, Gatekeeper was so relentless, that we pitched him.

But you gotta admit "Gatekeeper" is a pretty cool name!

DEnnis Lippert - macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (01/25/91)

In article <82617@unix.cis.pitt.edu> macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) writes:
|In article <38301@cup.portal.com> James_J_Kowalczyk@cup.portal.com writes:
|>SAM refers to Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh.

|Why eould you prefer SAM?  Well, for one, it can LEARN your system.  If I get
|a conflict with Gatekeeper, I have to go to the control panel and configure to
|get rid of the problem.  With SAM we just hit the "learn" button.

One caveat for prospective SAM purchasers.  I ran SAM for a while, as I, too,
liked the "Learn" feature.  [I didn't like the vagueness of its alerts as
opposed to GateKeeper, though]  Anyway, I use Quicken to manage my checking
accounts.  EVERY_TIME I launched Quicken, SAM would complain about an "attempt
to bypass the resource manager," no matter how many times I told SAM to learn
about this.  Apperently, whatever Quicken is doing, it does it differently
enough each time to make SAM think it's doing something new.  Oddly, GateKeeper
didn't complain at all, and neither does Disinfectant.

chaz
--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone