[comp.sys.mac.misc] Directory Corrupted! Help!

jspear@stb.info.com (Artichoke) (01/22/91)

[Sorry if this is duplicated. It didn't appear on this machine after
 about 6 hours, so I'm reposting]

Seems like I've seen this before, noted on the net, and a couple
years ago on a different disk drive of mine. I've always had to
backup, reinitialize, restore, but there must be a better way...

Starting Point:
- 120M Quantum drive partitioned by Silver Lining 5.13 to 80 and 34M.
- System 6.0.7, Desktop Manager, zillions of inits and junk on 80M.
- 80M partition has less than 300K free space, optimized in Nov 90.
- No problems with 34M partitions, says Disk First Aid and others.

What happened:
- I delete a file from root directory, note that free space regained
  is smaller than size of file deleted (80M partition)
- Copy folder containing 2 files from floppy to root of the 80M, and
  I get a folder containing two 0K files (on floppy they were 50K+)
- Delete the folder with empty files. Many explatives fill room.
- Reboot to backup system kept on 34M partition. Rebuild desktops.
- Run Disk First Aid 1.4.3: "Unable to verify status of disk"
- Run SUM II Disk Clinic "Quick Fix":  SCSI mapping OK, Volume Info
  Block OK, Allocation map is invalid. Directory is bad. Sorry,
  unable to repair.
- Run Retrospect 1.1 to back off things since last backup (9M
  worth!), and it reports: "Volume Q120.80:" root, undeletable folder
  (wrong child count): actual 7, claims 8.
  -- Backs up and verifies with no apparent problems. Lucky (?)
- Run PC Tools Deluxe MacTools Rescue 1.0, "Fix Volumes, Unknown Prob"
  -- Says Volume Info, Extent File and Catalog File are OK, but
  -- Volume Bitmap didn't match catalog (repaired, it said)
  -- Volume Bitmap freepace didn't match volume info (can't repair,
     it says).
- Run Rescue again
  -- Extent File BAD, "The file header block is damaged", no repair
     offered.
- Reboot Mac, now when the system tries to mount the 80M partition I
  get "This disk is damaged. Do you want to initialize it?"
  SOOO PC Tools Deluxe made things worse, not better.

What to do next?
- Buy yet another utility: Norton for the Mac?
- Write nasty letter to Apple and Central Point?
- Reinitialize/restore, and wait for next time this happens?
- Fix the problem somehow?

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome. It seems to me that the
Mac file system is too fragile, much more so than the Unix and VMS
systems I've used. On these larger machines, crashes were far less
frequent (maybe three or four times a year, compared with that many
a day on my Mac, so maybe that is part of the problem. And I've
found that most other Mac users I know have had problems with many
crashes, and mystery disk corruption.
   The periodic crashes and disk problems are also much more of a
problem with Mac's I've known than with PClones. I love my Macs,
but this is a real drag. (But not as bad as a SCUD missle...)

Fixed in System 7? I hope so...

Thanks,
   -Jon
jspear@stb.info.com  denwa!stb!jspear  anes.ucla.edu!stb!jspear
"No matter where you go, ... there you are!" - Buckaroo Bonzai

In article <1991Jan22.135217.3697@stb.info.com> jspear@stb.info.com (Artichoke) writes:

>Starting Point:
>- 120M Quantum drive partitioned by Silver Lining 5.13 to 80 and 34M.
>- System 6.0.7, Desktop Manager, zillions of inits and junk on 80M.
>- 80M partition has less than 300K free space, optimized in Nov 90.
>- No problems with 34M partitions, says Disk First Aid and others.
>
>What happened:
>- Copy folder containing 2 files from floppy to root of the 80M, and
>  I get a folder containing two 0K files (on floppy they were 50K+)
>- Delete the folder with empty files. Many explatives fill room.
[lots of attempts to fix FOLDER FROM HELL]
>- Run PC Tools Deluxe MacTools Rescue 1.0, "Fix Volumes, Unknown Prob"
>  -- Says Volume Info, Extent File and Catalog File are OK, but
>  -- Volume Bitmap didn't match catalog (repaired, it said)
>  -- Volume Bitmap freepace didn't match volume info (can't repair,
>     it says).
>- Run Rescue again
>  -- Extent File BAD, "The file header block is damaged", no repair
>     offered.
>- Reboot Mac, now when the system tries to mount the 80M partition I
>  get "This disk is damaged. Do you want to initialize it?"
>  SOOO PC Tools Deluxe made things worse, not better.
>
>What to do next?
>- Buy yet another utility: Norton for the Mac?

I don't know of any utility that can completely fix the directory damage that
results in the undeletable folder (just fixing the directory valence doesn't
do it)

>- Write nasty letter to Apple and Central Point?
Especially Central Point--  they shouldn't have damaged your directory more.

>- Reinitialize/restore, and wait for next time this happens?
Yes, since you have a current backup-- no other solution will result in
a repaired directory structure.

(and depending on how your backup is done-- file by file or image-- even
this may not repair the directory structure)