[comp.sys.mac.misc] Why no LC wo/ hard drive?

sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark T. Sandrock) (01/18/91)

As far as I can determine, it is not possible to purchase a Mac LC without
a 40 MB hard disk.  Is this really true, and if so, why?  This makes it more
like an MC (medium cost) Mac when you add in the color monitor.  I know it's
cheap for a Mac, but what about people wanting a color Mac for their children?
Are we all really supposed to buy them hard disks to run MacWrite, MacPaint,
and a handful of games?  I can't believe it!

Mark Sandrock
--
BITNET:   sandrock@uiucscs	        Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Internet: sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu   Chemical Sciences Computing Services

russ@convex.COM (Russell Donnan) (01/18/91)

The educational version of the Macintosh LC is a 2-SuperDrive system,
no HD.  As far as I know, it isn't available yet, but check your
University computer store.  This system may be bundled with the IIe
card as well, since that is the purpose of the 2 floppy systems.

Now for the big question I'd like to ask:  Why bother?  Street price
(Not to mention educational pricing...) is $2,200 today for:
	Mac LC 2/40 (kbd, mouse, microphone)
	Nec MultiSync 14" monitor, cable

This is a plug and play 16-color Mac system.  In very short order you will
realize that you will need a HD for your Macintosh anyway.  In this
case, it is cheaper to buy it with the machine IMHO.  Happy hunting!  I hope
you get what you want.

-Russ
--
Russ Donnan, (214) 497-4778, russ@convex.com
Convex Computer Corporation, 3000 Waterview Parkway, Richardson, TX

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (01/18/91)

> In very short order you will
>realize that you will need a HD for your Macintosh anyway.

Even if it is to be used only as an Appleshare client?  Will a
System 7 startup system disk be larger than 1.4 meg?

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.143221.988@dhw68k.cts.com> bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) writes:

   In article <1991Jan18.131151.17326@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> Gerald Edgar writes:
   >Even if it is to be used only as an Appleshare client?  Will a
   >System 7 startup system disk be larger than 1.4 meg?

   I've been wondering about that myself.  It would seem that 1.4 meg isn't
   enough, based on my recollection of trying to build a "minimum" 7.0b1 system
   disk using the included Installer.

I think there was mention that 7.0 used compressed resources to
squeeze onto a floppy.

But don't rely on this--anybody know for sure?

--
/=============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Arnaud Gourdol) (01/22/91)

L. Long) writes:

>   In article <1991Jan18.131151.17326@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> Gerald Edgar
writes:
>   >Even if it is to be used only as an Appleshare client?  Will a
>   >System 7 startup system disk be larger than 1.4 meg?
>
>   I've been wondering about that myself.  It would seem that 1.4 meg isn't
>   enough, based on my recollection of trying to build a "minimum" 7.0b1
system
>   disk using the included Installer.

Well, it is not possible to build a universal System 7 startup disk, i.e. one
that will boot on every Macintosh computers (from Mac Plus to Mac IIfx). But it
is possible to build mimimum systems suited for your machine. I personnaly have
made a System 7b1 minimum boot disk for a Macintosh SE. There was some room
left for the Apple CD-SC driver, and still a few kb free.

>I think there was mention that 7.0 used compressed resources to
>squeeze onto a floppy.
Right. The System 7 Resource Manager is able to load compressed resources.
However, even with this feature System 7 is still quite big.

As for now, it's difficult to talk about anything for sure as the pre-released
versions were only alpha and beta software. So we can expect that the final
version will run faster and be smaller.

Arnaud.

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) (01/24/91)

From russ@convex.COM (Russell Donnan):
> Now for the big question I'd like to ask:  Why bother?
> In very short order you will
> realize that you will need a HD for your Macintosh anyway.  In this
> case, it is cheaper to buy it with the machine IMHO.

An assumption many .edu-types make is that everyone has access to
educational pricing. They don't. Another assumption made is that
the only way to acquire equipment is through retail outlets. That
also is not true. There is a tremendous after-market for computer
equipment if you don't need the latest, biggest or fastest piece.

Many people told me I was insane to buy a mac without a HD. But I
could put a drive on myself and get a bigger drive for considerably
less.

Don't assume everyone else has your connections and your configuration
in mind.

--
William R. Carroll  (Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale FL)
wcarroll@encore.com         uunet!gould!wcarroll

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (01/25/91)

System 7.0b1 fits comfortably on a 1.4 meg HD disk if you do a specific
install for your machine.  I have one here that has a whopping 85K left on it
(roughly).  Whoops, 134K left.  And it WORKS, though boot time is on the order
of the speed of a NeXT running 0.9 O/S ;-)
| UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!pj            | RTFD = Read The Silly Doc! |
| INET: pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org                     |                            |