[comp.sys.mac.misc] Summary: UUCP/Mail for the Mac

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/17/91)

In article <1CE00001.edmvsk@tbomb.ice.com> time@ice.com writes:
>There is also a piece of software out there that implement POP on
>the Macintosh. Anyone remember where?

Actually, there are billy-uns.

InterCon has a commercial one.
Stanford has MacMH.
MIT has TechMail.
NASA has one (MacPOP?).
A Swedish University (I think) produces MacPost.
UIUC has Eudora.

All of these programs will work with MacTCP (or so I am led to believe).

InterCon's can do SLIP over dialups.  Eudora can do dialups, but does so
sans protocol; this is fine for normal mail, but can be a problem if
you want to transfer documents (I suggest people with such needs use
error-correcting modems).  I don't know about the others.

Unfortunately, I do not have contact information on any of these except
Eudora, which you get by anonymous ftp to ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, in the mac/eudora
subdirectory.

A year and a half of my life is invested in Eudora, so I will refrain from
posting my opinions.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic) (01/26/91)

In article <4325@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> bhoule@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
	(Bill Houle) writes:
>A couple of weeks ago I asked for info about Modem-based Unix email
>packages for the Mac.  I've summarized below on the basis of several
>[...]
>uAccess is a commercial product which provides a complete environment
>[...]
>information, try info@ice.com.

I did, about 3 or 4 days ago. I'm still waiting for a reply. Has
anyone gotten a reply from that address?

I hope their product support is faster than their sales dept.

--
palkovic@linac.fnal.gov
... one of the first things I do when installing a Sun is throw Sun's