[comp.sys.mac.misc] System file modified after reboot and MMfix

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (01/25/91)

	I just noticed last night that my System 6.0.7 file appears to be
	modified everytime I reboot (i.e. the modification time in Get Info
	changes).  I started checking because I installed the MMfix (memory
	management fix INIT), and then later read in mac.digest that the
	MMfix INIT may cause system troubles.  So has anyone seen this
	behavior??  Thanks in advance for any enlighment on this.

	BTW: MMfix did not seem to increase performance - at least, not
	according to Speedometer 2.5.

	Mac LC running -
	System 6.0.7, Suitcase 1.2.8, Init CDev 3.0, Gatekeeper, ...

	=Mike

--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

fwb@pollux.tmc.edu (Fred Brehm) (01/25/91)

Michael K. Yee writes:

>	I just noticed last night that my System 6.0.7 file appears to be
>	modified everytime I reboot (i.e. the modification time in Get Info
>	changes).  I started checking because I installed the MMfix (memory
>	management fix INIT), and then later read in mac.digest that the
>	MMfix INIT may cause system troubles.  So has anyone seen this
>	behavior??  Thanks in advance for any enlighment on this.

This (Modified date changed) is normal behavior.  It has nothing to do with
MMinit.  I don't know what gets changed, or why, though.  This behavior is
the cause of the "Skip System files" option in many disk backup applications.

I also saw the report in the info-mac digest.  Sometimes these kinds of reports
are followed a few days later with a "sorry, it was (hardware, another init,
cockpit error, ...)" message, so I don't panic with the first report of a
problem.

I do, however, pay attention when I add something new to a system.  MMinit is
installed on several IIfx and IIci (I think) around here.  Nobody has had
any problem yet, and there are lots of different combinations of init's,
cdev's, da's, and applications on those machines.

>	BTW: MMfix did not seem to increase performance - at least, not
>	according to Speedometer 2.5.

You have to watch out for benchmarks. They don't always measure the right
thing.  I don't know what Speedometer measures, but it probably isn't memory
manager performance.

The people who installed MMinit around here did not notice anything until
they ran some image processing or graphics intensive application.  Then,
their reaction was something like "Wow! That's really a lot faster."

Fred
--
Frederic W. Brehm	Siemens Corporate Research	Princeton, NJ
fwb@demon.siemens.com	-or-	...!princeton!siemens!demon!fwb

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (01/25/91)

In article <YEE.91Jan24123810@genoa.osf.org>
           yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:

> I just noticed last night that my System 6.0.7 file appears to be
> modified everytime I reboot (i.e. the modification time in Get Info
> changes).  I started checking because I installed the MMfix (memory
> management fix INIT), and then later read in mac.digest that the
> MMfix INIT may cause system troubles.  So has anyone seen this
> behavior??  Thanks in advance for any enlighment on this.
>
> BTW: MMfix did not seem to increase performance - at least, not
> according to Speedometer 2.5.

What you're seeing is not (necessarily) related to the MMfix init.  My System
file changes every time I boot up (or at least it changes every day, I don't
know if it changes during the boot up process itself).  I am not using the
MMfix init.  Many other things could be changing resources that they are
storing in the system file.

Note that the MMfix is not going to increase the performance of anything that
Speedometer is going to check.  The bug it fixes will only be noticable for
some programs which exhibit a certain behavior in the way they obtain memory.
It won't speed up anything but memory requests in the given situation.  It will
not have any effect on things like integer or floating-point performance.

btw, you didn't say if you noticed any problems when using this init.  Does it
work okay for you?  Just curious...  (I do have a Mac IIci here at work, so I
was thinking of trying the init)

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (01/26/91)

In article <``8^~W^@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu writes:

|> > BTW: MMfix did not seem to increase performance - at least, not
|> > according to Speedometer 2.5.
|> >

|> btw, you didn't say if you noticed any problems when using this init.  Does it
|> work okay for you?  Just curious...  (I do have a Mac IIci here at work, so I
|> was thinking of trying the init)

	Yes, The MMInit seems to work (i.e. not crash my Mac LC).

|> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

	=Mike