[comp.sys.mac.misc] responder and names

skippy@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Ian Chesterton) (01/26/91)

Hi all.  I've got a question which I hope someone out there can answer.
Whenever a new Mac is started up for the first time, it asks you to
name the machine.  I assume that is RESPONDER talking to you.
This name seems to be used in a variety of other places, one of them
being in the Appleshare (AppleTalk?) applications.  Now, how does one
go about changing that name?  Is there an easy solution, like RESediting
some resource? Or are we talking reinstalling the system (i.e., to make it
think it is an all new machine)?

--- Ian ---

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (01/26/91)

skippy@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Ian Chesterton) writes:

>Hi all.  I've got a question which I hope someone out there can answer.
>Whenever a new Mac is started up for the first time, it asks you to
>name the machine. Now, how does one
>go about changing that name?

Just trash the little responder file lurking in your system folder and
you'll be asked all over again what your name is.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (01/26/91)

In article <dana.664846233@are> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
>skippy@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Ian Chesterton) writes:
>
>>Hi all.  I've got a question which I hope someone out there can answer.
>>Whenever a new Mac is started up for the first time, it asks you to
>>name the machine. Now, how does one
>>go about changing that name?
>
>Just trash the little responder file lurking in your system folder and
>you'll be asked all over again what your name is.

Or change the "User Name" in the Chooser and restart.  That should do
it.

Daniel