[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mathematica for $49?

231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231 section 2) (01/25/91)

Since I'm a student, I'd like to take advantage of educational discounts.
I'd like to buy the educational version of Mathematica especially.  A friend of
mine who attends a different university got the edu version for dirt cheap,
if I recall correctly, $49???  It didn't come with the complete set of manuals,
just a 100 page primer or so (but not that black hardbound by Wolfram). I
think I could get by w/o the hardbound, but how does one go about purchasing
the educational version?  Do I have to go through our univ's Apple dealer?

Also, I received a flier from Symantec awhile back, and I remember seeing a
note about a place that sold all sorts of stuff on edu discount. (1) Can some
kind person please email (or post) the number of that company? (2) Has anyone
dealt with that company, and how low are their prices?

I could also use a "real" communications program.  I hope that company
carries Microphone II!  There's no way I can justify 200+ dollars for it right
now with tuition due pretty soon, but I need something better than White Knight.
(Well, really Zterm with macros would do the trick!)

Thanks,
mike gleason

sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark T. Sandrock) (01/26/91)

231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (CS 231 section 2) writes:

>Since I'm a student, I'd like to take advantage of educational discounts.
>I'd like to buy the educational version of Mathematica especially.  A friend of
>mine who attends a different university got the edu version for dirt cheap,
>if I recall correctly, $49???  It didn't come with the complete set of manuals,
>just a 100 page primer or so (but not that black hardbound by Wolfram). I
>think I could get by w/o the hardbound, but how does one go about purchasing
>the educational version?  Do I have to go through our univ's Apple dealer?

I just called Wolfram Research (the maker of Mathematica) directly -- since
they are located here in Champaign, IL -- and was told that their student
price for the Macintosh version of Mathematica is $139.  When I asked him
about an alleged $49 price, his reply was that he doesn't know "what's going
on there".  He said no way could Wolfram Research sell it for that little.

On the plus side, at that price you should get all the docs, no?

In case anyone's interested, they do have a toll-free number for orders only:
800-441-MATH and their address is 201 W Springfield Ave., Champaign, IL 61820.

Hope this info helps.

Mark Sandrock
--
BITNET:   sandrock@uiucscs	        Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Internet: sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu   Chemical Sciences Computing Services

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (01/26/91)

In article <sandrock.664821204@aries> sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark T. Sandrock) writes:

   I just called Wolfram Research (the maker of Mathematica) directly -- since
   they are located here in Champaign, IL -- and was told that their student
   price for the Macintosh version of Mathematica is $139.  When I asked him
   about an alleged $49 price, his reply was that he doesn't know "what's going
   on there".  He said no way could Wolfram Research sell it for that little.

Aren't there two versions of Mathematica for the Mac?  Is the $139
version the Mac II program?

-Mike

sjbury@barred.rice.edu (scott j bury) (01/26/91)

In article <h6Gqsm6@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
|> In article <sandrock.664821204@aries> sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark T. Sandrock) writes:
|>

|>    I just called Wolfram Research (the maker of Mathematica) directly -- since
|>    they are located here in Champaign, IL -- and was told that their student
|>    price for the Macintosh version of Mathematica is $139.  When I asked him
|>    about an alleged $49 price, his reply was that he doesn't know "what's going
|>    on there".  He said no way could Wolfram Research sell it for that little.
|>
|> Aren't there two versions of Mathematica for the Mac?  Is the $139
|> version the Mac II program?
|>
|> -Mike

Wolfram told me the $139 was for the SE version.

-scott

yongbum@ronzoni.berkeley.edu (01/26/91)

  Wolfram Research also has educational pricing on the Mac II version.
I think you have to send them some kind of proof that you are a student
together with the order.  Rumour has it that they are having a
special 25% discount offer on top of this educational discount until
February, together with free upgrade to v2.0 when it comes out.  Sounds
pretty good to me (if you really need the program, that is).

krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan26.053038.27266@agate.berkeley.edu> yongbum@ronzoni.berkeley.edu writes:
>  Wolfram Research also has educational pricing on the Mac II version.
>I think you have to send them some kind of proof that you are a student
>together with the order.  Rumour has it that they are having a
>special 25% discount offer on top of this educational discount until
>February, together with free upgrade to v2.0 when it comes out.  Sounds
>pretty good to me (if you really need the program, that is).

I talk to Wolfram around 10 days ago and here is what they told me.
There are 3 educational discounts:

	1. Standard version.  This is ``normal'' Mathematical we all
	   know and love.  This had a 25% discount until February.

	2. Enhanced version.  This uses the FPU on the machine to do
	   the calculations, but otherwise is no different.  This also
	   has the 25% off discount until February.

	3. IF you are a student, you are eligible for the student
	   version.  From the person's on the phone explanation, this
	   is simply just the standard version available only for
	   students.  It has no 25% discount.

The student version is $139.00.  The 25% discount is for all platforms
that Mathematica runs on and is available until February 15, 1991.  It
also looks like there is no such thing as a MacII and a Mac SE, etc.
version.  It looks Mathematica for the Mac runs on all machines with 4
Meg of memory.
--
Kevin Kuehl
krk@cs.purdue.edu

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (SAURABH MISRA) (01/27/91)

Mellinger) writes:
> |> In article <sandrock.664821204@aries> sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
(Mark T. Sandrock) writes:

> |>    I just called Wolfram Research (the maker of Mathematica)
directly -- since
> |>    they are located here in Champaign, IL -- and was told that
their student
> |>    price for the Macintosh version of Mathematica is $139.  When I
asked him
> |>    about an alleged $49 price, his reply was that he doesn't know
"what's going
> |>    on there".  He said no way could Wolfram Research sell it for
that little.

> |> Aren't there two versions of Mathematica for the Mac?  Is the $139
> |> version the Mac II program?
> |>
> |> -Mike
>

> Wolfram told me the $139 was for the SE version.
>

> -scott

If the SE version works on an SE,won't it work on a Plus?