[comp.sys.mac.misc] reset button for si?

bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) (01/21/91)

Where is the reset button on the box of the new Mac II si?

Thanks.
-Bruce

	Bruce Cohen                    |  UUCP:     ..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!bic
	Computer Graphics Lab, S-926   |  INTERNET: bic@cgl.ucsf.edu
	University of California       |  BITNET:   bic@ucsfcgl
	San Francisco, CA  94143-0446  |  VOICE:    (415) 476-8291

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (01/22/91)

In article <17103@cgl.ucsf.EDU> bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:
> Where is the reset button on the box of the new Mac II si?

On the keyboard.  Press contol-command-power.  If you have a debugger
installed, there is also a soft reset (command-power??).

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.155428.25403@midway.uchicago.edu>, dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu
(David Walton) says:

>In article <17103@cgl.ucsf.EDU> bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:
>>Where is the reset button on the box of the new Mac II si?
>
>There isn't one.  To reset the machine, press Control-Command-Power
>for at least one second.  To get into the debugger, press
>Command-Power for one second (you'll need MacsBug version 6.2b1 or later
>for the debugger switch to work).

The other day I heard someone refer to the reset sequence above as
"Control-flower-power", and the debugger sequence as simply "flower-power."

:) :) :) :) :)

-------
Christopher Tate                   |   (i do not know what is it about you
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               |   that closes and opens; only something
 ..!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105    |   in me understands the voice of your
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                |   eyes is deeper than all roses)

bic@pom.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) (01/23/91)

kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) writes:

>bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:

>>Where is the reset button on the box of the new Mac II si?

>They have put it into the keyboard, calling the big power-on button with a
>triangle the "switch" and the command key clover, you use clover-switch for
>reset and clover-control-switch for reset.  The catch is these don't work
>properly, can some kind soul tell me if they have fixed this with later
>versions?  I had heard there are still bugs in the si rom, how many versions
>are there as of now?

>email preferred, if snough people ask me for the responses I'll post it.

As a former MS-DOS machine programmer, I question the judgment of not
having a hot button on the CPU box.  Under MS-DOS, I had no problem hosing
the keyboard connection while hanging the machine.  This was a real
problem on the early IBM PCs.
--
	Bruce Cohen                    |  UUCP:     ..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!bic
	Computer Graphics Lab          |  INTERNET: bic@cgl.ucsf.edu

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (01/23/91)

From article <1991Jan21.155428.25403@midway.uchicago.edu>, by dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton):
> In article <17103@cgl.ucsf.EDU> bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:
>>Where is the reset button on the box of the new Mac II si?
>
> There isn't one.  To reset the machine, press Control-Command-Power
> for at least one second.  To get into the debugger, press
> Command-Power for one second (you'll need MacsBug version 6.2b1 or later
> for the debugger switch to work).

Being an old apple //e owner, I find it easiest to remember the keystroke
as control-open apple reset.

--
William C. DenBesten   is   denbeste@bgsu.edu  or   denbesten@bgsuopie.bitnet

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (01/23/91)

In article <bic.664574995@pom.mmwb.ucsf.edu> bic@pom.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:
|kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) writes:
|
|>bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:
|
|>>Where is the reset button on the box of the new Mac II si?
|
|>They have put it into the keyboard, calling the big power-on button with a
|>triangle the "switch" and the command key clover, you use clover-switch for
|>reset and clover-control-switch for reset.  The catch is these don't work
|>properly, can some kind soul tell me if they have fixed this with later
|>versions?  I had heard there are still bugs in the si rom, how many versions
|>are there as of now?
|
|>email preferred, if snough people ask me for the responses I'll post it.
|
|As a former MS-DOS machine programmer, I question the judgment of not
|having a hot button on the CPU box.  Under MS-DOS, I had no problem hosing
|the keyboard connection while hanging the machine.  This was a real
|problem on the early IBM PCs.

On my Apple IIGS, the Control-Open Apple-Reset (exactly the same thing as
Contol-Command-Power, the GS was the first to use the ADB) will make the ADB
microcontroller pull the /RESET line low. Since this is entirely in hardware,
there is no way a program can affect the ability to reboot. I'm sure this
would more or less apply to the si also.

Also, the reset always works, but the interrupt doesn't always work right.
However, if you have MacsBug 6.2(?) or later, the interrupt works fine.

Side note: sometimes a reset switch on the cpu box doesn't work all the
time... Pitfall on the Commodore 128 would not allow you to reset... it
would start itself back up. I thought it was a neat, although very annoying
trick :-)

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (01/25/91)

According to Apple's notes for developers, in addition to the 68030 in the
si, there is a processor in the keyboard, and a third processor, a 6800,
in the CPU box, who's dole job is to service the keyboard. If the 6800
sees a long <Command><Power>, it sends an NMI to the 68030. Unlike on an
IBM PC, on a 68030 you can't mask an non-maskable interrupt.

(No smiley, due to stupid hardware design at intel, you really can mask
a non-maskable-interrupt on an intel processor.)
--
-- David Phillip Oster - At least the government doesn't make death worse.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/26/91)

sam@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Sam Tan) writes:

>The interrupt key is replaced by the key-combination Command-Power
>and the reset key is now Ctrl-Cmd-Power.
>The power key is the key that turns on the IIsi, marked by a triangle lying down

	If this is what Apple calls "intuitive" I'd hate to see what they'd
come up with for the power users!

pcossenb@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Paul C. Ossenbruggen) (01/28/91)

Yes, this is very intuitive for Apple because it means one less external switch
to worry about. Thus making the machine less expensive. Actually, this has been
available for the Mac II for a long time. It is called Programmer's key (by
Paul Mercer) and I believe it is the prefered method amoung most programmers
to reset their machines.

The latest version of Programmer's Key allows you to selectively switch which
debugger to break into, TMON or MacsBug. This actually involves many more
combinations of keys depending on the debugger you want to be in. Quite a nice
hack I must say.

- Paul
|  Paul C. Ossenbruggen                     pcossenb@rodan.acs.syr.edu        |
|  Syracuse University                      rspco@suvm.bitnet                 |
|					    pcossenb@sunrise.acs.syr.edu      |

jdsb@egr.duke.edu (John D. S. Babcock) (01/28/91)

In article <22883@well.sf.ca.us> oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>According to Apple's notes for developers, in addition to the 68030 in the
>si, there is a processor in the keyboard, and a third processor, a 6800,
>in the CPU box, who's dole job is to service the keyboard. If the 6800
>sees a long <Command><Power>, it sends an NMI to the 68030. Unlike on an
>IBM PC, on a 68030 you can't mask an non-maskable interrupt.

Does that mean that I cannot do a NMI from my IIsi with a Datadesk Switchboard?
I have noticed several times when the mac will crash and I cannot reboot.  I
have to use the power switch.  The silly switch is configured so I have to
turn off power altogether and turn it back on.  I cannot "reset".  This usually
happens with new programs or inits I get.  I just need to reboot and
deactivate them.
J. D. Sterling Babcock             Duke University Electrical Engineering
jdsb@dukee.egr.duke.edu
att!egr.duke.edu!jdsb