[comp.sys.mac.misc] System Heap full under 'about finder'

sm196103@seas.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky) (01/30/91)

Ok, a few days ago I posted about a pausing problem that I was having with
my Mac.  It periodically pauses and thinks about the universe (or something
as stupid for a personal computer to think about) and I cannot seem to track
it down.

I have an SE/30 running 6.0.7 with 8 megs of RAM and 2x80 meg HD's.  I have
taken out all the inits and Cdevs that I most recently put in - Just to see
if it was one of them.  The problem still popped up.  I even went to the
length of reinstalling my system software but no cigar - it still happens.

I then thought of the system heap.  I had been having 'dry' reboots every
once in a while (DRY - when the screen will flash and seem to restart without
shutting down) so I checked the About Finder window and found that the
System was taking all of its memory bar up.  There was no white at all in the
bar so I figured that I would solve the problem by adding more mem to the Heap
with HeapFixer.

I upped the mem. to 128k extra for each drive (2 80's) and restarted, the
System still took up the entire bar.  I am at my wits end.  I seem to have
tried everything I can think of.  Any of you have any ideas?

Anybody from Apple watching/reading?

Thanx in advance for any help you can offer.

Scott

--
Scott Cherkofsky			"The experience of going through
sm196103@seas.GWU.edu			 life may be intended as a warning

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (01/30/91)

In article <2651@sparko.gwu.edu> sm196103@seas.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky)
writes:
>     ...(description of some problems)...
>
>I then thought of the system heap.  I had been having 'dry' reboots every
>once in a while (DRY - when the screen will flash and seem to restart without
>shutting down) so I checked the About Finder window and found that the
>System was taking all of its memory bar up.  There was no white at all in the
>bar so I figured that I would solve the problem by adding more mem to the Heap
>with HeapFixer.
>
>I upped the mem. to 128k extra for each drive (2 80's) and restarted, the
>System still took up the entire bar.  I am at my wits end.  I seem to have
>tried everything I can think of.  Any of you have any ideas?

The amount of memory you need doesn't have much to do with how many disk drives
you have.  128K isn't all that much to increase the heap.  I've had to up mine
by something like 500K.  The amount of memory you're actually using won't
change until you catch up with the system heap you were already using.  In your
"About Finder..." dialog, how much memory is the System taking?

Since you still have this problem with all your inits disabled, do you have a
RAM cache enabled?

You might also want to try something called HeapTool (a cdev) to do this, as it
has some advantages over HeapFixer (HeapTool just some useful options).

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy New York, USA