[comp.sys.mac.misc] Downloading from UM-MTS.CC.UMICH.EDU - need help

kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) (01/30/91)

I have been trying to download PC2:DO/DOWNLOAD2 from UM-MTS
and have been unsuccessful.  If I try to download using the explicit
pathname I get a file not found problem.  If I try to get to the
directory to download I get the message

501 PC2:DO : INVALID PARAMETERS

I suspect this may be a problem with ftp.

No success in tracking down a maintenance person for the ftp site, perhaps
If I could download I could find the name:-)

Please email, and thanks

tbutler@wpi.WPI.EDU (Tim Butler) (01/30/91)

In article <kscott.665190644@locke.mmwb.ucsf.edu> kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) writes:

>   I have been trying to download PC2:DO/DOWNLOAD2 from UM-MTS
>   and have been unsuccessful.  If I try to download using the explicit
>   pathname I get a file not found problem.  If I try to get to the
>   directory to download I get the message
...etc..
>   I suspect this may be a problem with ftp.

It is actually a problem with the obsolete operating system: MTS

MTS does not have subdirectories, it is a flat filing system. That is why
getting a directory listing would take eons, it lists all files. (actually
all files that you have privilege to see, ones that begin with the right
owner code among others. In this case apparently PC2:. So if I log into account
BC7R, for example, all my files are prefixed with BC7R:. If I list my files
with FILES, though, the prefix is not shown)

Try specifying both the remote and local filenames, i.e:
get  PC2:DO/DOWNLOAD2 validname.doc

MTS also does not allow wildcards. So I don't think mget is usable.

tim
--
Tim Butler	      (tbutler@wpi.wpi.edu)
Teaching Assistant    HL 103b  ext.5424      soon to be at:

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/30/91)

In article <TBUTLER.91Jan29215600@wpi.WPI.EDU>, tbutler@wpi.WPI.EDU (Tim Butler) writes:

> In article <kscott.665190644@locke.mmwb.ucsf.edu> kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) writes:
>
> >   I have been trying to download PC2:DO/DOWNLOAD2 from UM-MTS
> >   and have been unsuccessful.  If I try to download using the explicit
> >   pathname I get a file not found problem.  If I try to get to the
> >   directory to download I get the message
> ...etc..
> >   I suspect this may be a problem with ftp.
>
> It is actually a problem with the obsolete operating system: MTS
>
> MTS does not have subdirectories, it is a flat filing system. That is why
> getting a directory listing would take eons, it lists all files. (actually
> all files that you have privilege to see, ones that begin with the right
> owner code among others. In this case apparently PC2:. So if I log into account
> BC7R, for example, all my files are prefixed with BC7R:. If I list my files
> with FILES, though, the prefix is not shown)
>
> Try specifying both the remote and local filenames, i.e:
> get  PC2:DO/DOWNLOAD2 validname.doc
>
> MTS also does not allow wildcards. So I don't think mget is usable.

Sure it does.  Though I think it's the ? character.  Try "PC2:DO/?"
Not positive this will work (it's been while since I used MTS), but
it's worth a try.

MTS isn't unix, but it has it's own benefits.  It's good for people
to see that unix is't the ONLY operating system in the world (and
unix even makes a few mistakes).

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE