[comp.sys.mac.misc] Three Questions

jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (01/20/91)

In article <9101191245.aa18238@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU>
kanderso@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU (Kenneth Anderson) writes:

> 1.  I have Disinfectant 2.0 installed on my hard disk. I followed the
>     instructions for installing the Disinfectant INIT, but now everytime
>     I reboot the computer, the Disinfectant INIT icon appears twice.  Is
>     this normal? Does this mean that it is being installed twice? Has
>     this happened to anyone else?

You are probably using an old version of MicroSeed's INITPicker.  Versions
earlier than 2.0 do not work properly with INITs whose names start with a
special character.  You need to upgrade your copy of INITPicker to version
2.0 or later.

You should also get the most recent version of Disinfectant, version 2.4.

> 2.  Is there a new version of GateKeeper around? I have version 1.1.

The current version of GateKeeper is 1.1.1.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

gmarzot@mbunix.mitre.org (G. Marzot) (01/20/91)

In article <9101191245.aa18238@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU>
kanderso@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU (Kenneth Anderson) writes:
> I have three questions for the net. Can anyone help me?
> 1.
>     ...the Disinfectant INIT icon appears twice.  Is
>     this normal?

I don't know - However as a side note I have used Virex for many months
and now just recently
Virex 3.0 and I am totally satisfied.

> 2.  Is there a new version of GateKeeper around? ...

I don't know

> 3.  I own a 13' color monitor, and I have noticed a line going
horizontally
>     across my screen about four inches up from the bottom of the
monitor....
>     but what I wanted to know was, whether
>     other 13' color monitor owners have this same line across their
screens?

This I can answer - this is normal although it caused me some anxiety as
well after unpacking
my brand new machine. This line is, as I understand it,  a tiny control
wire for guiding the electron beam. It appears on many monitors(all?).
You'll be suprised how quickly you'll forget about it.

well one out of three is better than none.   GL
-GSM

Responsibility for the views expressed here
belongs only to myself and not to any organization.

smargari@nmsu.edu (Susan Margarit) (01/20/91)

Regarding questionn #3, I vaguely recall reading something about that
line. Ah yes, here it is. MacWorld, Nov 1990, p120.  Sony Trinitron
tubes (which apple uses) use two horizontal wires to strengthen the
metal shadow mask so that it will not deform. Those wires cast shadows
on the screen.

Jim
.

CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) (02/01/91)

In article <9101191245.aa18238@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU>, kanderso@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU
(Kenneth Anderson) asks:

>3.  I own a 13' color monitor, and I have noticed a line going horizontally
>    across my screen about four inches up from the bottom of the monitor.
>    This line is only noticable when there is a white background behind it,
>    so it doesn't bother me too much, but what I wanted to know was, whether
>    other 13' color monitor owners have this same line across their screens?
>    Should I take it back and get it replaced?

This faint line is characteristic of Sony's Trinitron monitor technology,
and appears in all Apple Hires 13" RGB monitors (which are, of course,
Sony Trinitrons.)  It's nothing to worry about.

As another respondant mentioned, it's the shadow of a thin wire that's
used (I believe) for focussing of the electron beams or some such.

-------
Christopher Tate                   | "Pardon me, but is this your bar
                                   |    of soap?"
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               | "Why, yes, I suppose it is...."
{...}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105  |
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                | "So do we."