[comp.sys.mac.misc] MacinTalk 2.0

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (01/29/91)

A 'new' version of MacinTalk has recently surfaced on the local BBS's, title
MacinTalk 2.0.  I don't recall the persons name who made the mods, but they
added a vers resource calling it 2.0.  The 'STR ' resource still reads "from
version 1.4.1 mods by Paul Mercer" along with this persons name.

Two questions: What's new with 2.0?  It is supposed to be 6.0.7 compatible.
               Is this the work of Apple? Someone at Apple?
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!pj            | RTFD = Read The Silly Doc! |
| INET: pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org                     |                            |

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Arnaud Gourdol) (02/01/91)

In article <3922@orbit.cts.com> pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>A 'new' version of MacinTalk has recently surfaced on the local BBS's, title
>MacinTalk 2.0.  I don't recall the persons name who made the mods, but they
>added a vers resource calling it 2.0.  The 'STR ' resource still reads "from
>version 1.4.1 mods by Paul Mercer" along with this persons name.
>
>Two questions: What's new with 2.0?  It is supposed to be 6.0.7 compatible.
>               Is this the work of Apple? Someone at Apple?

This is a Urban Legend. There is no Macintalk 2.0. A little funny guy as just
added a version string and spread it. See it as some kind of virus (though no
harmful). The latest Macintalk is 1.31. Some have said that it worked under
6.0.7 (and even 7.0). However, as it directly writes to hardware, it will sure
break in the future. Today it is already messing up the sound channels of the
Sound Manager (as it does not use the Sound Manager, for the Sound Manager was
not invented when it was written, back in early 1984).
Apple is working on a new product to replace Macintalk. No date of release have
been announced.

Arnaud.