[comp.sys.mac.misc] need ftp client for Macintosh

mbrookov@diana.cair.du.edu (Matthew B. Brookover) (01/31/91)

Is there an ftp client program for the Mac?

I need an ftp client program for the Mac.  I have NCSA Telnet, which
has a usabe ftp server, but it requires a password to do file
transfers.  The password thing is a pain in public access Mac labs.

At one time I remeber seeing somthing about a hypercard stack that used
MACtcp to do ftp, and another hypercard stack that would read news via
nntp.  Where can I get these stacks?  Are they public domain?

--
Matthew B. Brookover
Computing and Information Resources

rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (Robin Goldstone) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.171902.19757@mercury.cair.du.edu>,
mbrookov@diana.cair.du.edu (Matthew B. Brookover) writes:
>Is there an ftp client program for the Mac?
>
>I need an ftp client program for the Mac.  I have NCSA Telnet, which
>has a usabe ftp server, but it requires a password to do file
>transfers.  The password thing is a pain in public access Mac labs.

BYU has modified the standard NCSA Telnet to include an FTP client.  This
version is available on ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu in the contributions subdirectory
of the NCSA_Telnet directory.  Basically what they did was add an FTP check-box
to the Open Connection window.  When you check this box, you will get an
FTP session instead of a Telnet session.  The latest version, 2.3.4, lets
you toggle this check-box from the keyboard (command-F).

Robin Goldstone, California State University, Chico  Computing Services
rgoldstone@oavax.csuchico.edu

mbrookov@diana.cair.du.edu (Matthew B. Brookover) (02/01/91)

I have received a number of replies to questions about ftp clients:

In article <1991Jan30.171902.19757@mercury.cair.du.edu> mbrookov@diana.cair.du.edu (Matthew B. Brookover) writes:
>Is there an ftp client program for the Mac?
>
>I need an ftp client program for the Mac.  I have NCSA Telnet, which
>has a usabe ftp server, but it requires a password to do file
>transfers.  The password thing is a pain in public access Mac labs.
>
>At one time I remeber seeing somthing about a hypercard stack that used
>MACtcp to do ftp, and another hypercard stack that would read news via
>nntp.  Where can I get these stacks?  Are they public domain?

Here are the replies:

From: Clark Anderson <anderson@apple.com>
The password in Telnet isn't mandatory. I took it off all our machines
here because it's such a hassle. Just go into the config.tel
file and comment out the 'passfile' line with a # symbol.

From: Harri Valkama <hv@uwasa.fi>
Several possibilities.  You  can use MacTCP  and Hyperftp stack, or if
you are without MacTCP then you can fetch yourself BYU-Telnet which is
both ftp server and client and Telnet. You can find  these  from Sumex
or from nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100). Nic has them at /pub/mac/comm.

From: Jim Matthews <Jim.Matthews@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>
> Is there an ftp client program for the Mac?

Yes, there are several, both free and commercial.  The free ones that I
know of are HyperFTP (a HyperCard stack) and the BYU version of NCSA
Telnet.  The commercial ones are InterCon's TCP/Connect II, Novell's
HostAccess, and NRC's MacFTP.

> At one time I remeber seeing somthing about a hypercard stack that used
> MACtcp to do ftp, and another hypercard stack that would read news via
> nntp.  Where can I get these stacks?  Are they public domain?

Those stacks are freeware, and available on sumex-aim.stanford.edu. I belive
that they are in the /info-mac/comm directory.

This morning I ftp'd hyperftp and tried it out, it is very nice.  I think it
will end up in our labs.  I also plan to try out the BYU version of NCSA
telnet.

Thanks for the help.

							Matt
--

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.153544.25633@ecst.csuchico.edu> rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU writes:
>In article <1991Jan30.171902.19757@mercury.cair.du.edu>,
>mbrookov@diana.cair.du.edu (Matthew B. Brookover) writes:
>>Is there an ftp client program for the Mac?

>BYU has modified the standard NCSA Telnet to include an FTP client.  This
>version is available on ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu in the contributions subdirectory
>of the NCSA_Telnet directory.

Okay, now for a harder questions.  Is their a SLIP version of the BYU
version of NCSA Telnet?

I have the 2.3.2 SLIP version of the raw NCSA from cisco.  It works
great (although, it seems to only know about speeds up to 19.2Kbaud,
entering SLIP384000 in config.tel generates an error, anyone know how
to make this work), but I'd like to be able to use ftp client, as well.

Also, is there a SLIPified version of 2.3.4, with all the related bug fixes?

THanks,

Josh
Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu