[comp.sys.mac.misc] connecting MacSE/30 serially to std. data line

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (01/28/91)

I have a problem. I would like to connect a MacSE30 to a dataline
connection. The Hardware is simple -> it uses phone wire with
one send data wire, one recieve data wire, and one ground wire.
I know these wires. On an IBMPC, DEC terminal, or WYSE50 terminal
a 9-pin connector is used, pins 2, 3, 5 as I recall.
I have tried this on the mac with a 9-pin to 8-pin connector -> to the
mac. This does not seem to work... but I really don't know since
all of the communication software I have is for modem connections
or appletalk. (Red Ryder, MicroPhone, NCSA Telenet).
How can I get what I want?
I would really like to know the correct wiring. i.e. which pins
(both 8 and 9-pin, but especially 8 pin) on the Mac should be
used for data recieve, data send, and ground.
Also what software should/can I use?
I would prefer an inexpensive solution, i.e. shareware or freeware.
BTW this connection is to a PR1ME 6350. My current sol'n is to use
a modem to call the PR1ME's modem, but the 9600 bps of the data switch
connection is desireable. (Also it doesn't tie up a phone line.)
BTW. I know the communication settings necessary are 7 data bits
1 stop bit, 9600 bps, None or Odd parity (I forget)...
Well, hopefully someone can help...
Thanks in advance!
-Brent Schorsch (schorsch@oxy.edu)

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (01/31/91)

:I have a problem. I would like to connect a MacSE30 to a dataline
:connection. The Hardware is simple -> it uses phone wire with
:one send data wire, one recieve data wire, and one ground wire.

If someone has handy an explination of the mac serial port pin connections
I would apreciate that as well.

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

austin@spies.sf-bay.org (Glenn Austin) (02/04/91)

In article <36624@netnews.upenn.edu> jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) writes:

>:I have a problem. I would like to connect a MacSE30 to a dataline
>:connection. The Hardware is simple -> it uses phone wire with
>:one send data wire, one recieve data wire, and one ground wire.
>

>If someone has handy an explination of the mac serial port pin connections
>I would apreciate that as well.

OK.  Here it is, straight from Inside Mac, Vol. 4:

        _____
      / 8 7 6 \
     | 5  4 3 |
      \  2 1  /
        -----

  1 - Output handshake
  2 - Input handshake/external clock
  3 - Transmit data -
  4 - Ground
  5 - Receive data -
  6 - Transmit data +
  7 - (not connected)
  8 - Receive data +

As I recall, tying pin 3 & pin 5 to ground gives you RS232 (port is RS423).

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
|   Macintosh Wizard            |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |