[comp.sys.mac.misc] Quickmail - SE30 Problems?

ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (01/31/91)

I have recently heard a nasty rumor:  That CE's Quickmail will not operate
as a gateway on an SE30 (ethernet).  Is this true?

Situation:  I am planning to install a "Starter Lan" for a VC here that had
a few Macs (about 6-7) on Ethernet and a file server and a mail server.
I was going to use AppleShare and Quickmail for software and a pair of
SE30's to run it on.  I know, you don't need a dedicated server for QM but
I want to connect up to SMTP and some other Quickmail sites.  This will
all be done via Ethernet with a Fastpath to talk to the Lasers.  However,
somebody from another department put a big red circle on my design and said,
"Quickmail gateway will lock up on a EtherTalk SE30."  Has anyone had this
problem?  I can't believe CE would let this continue for any length of time.

Sorry for the cross post, but I need some answers.

--
Alex Jauch
*ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu       |"If all you have is a hammer, then the whole*

mposton@uci.edu (Michael Poston) (01/31/91)

In article <27A76002.5623@ics.uci.edu> ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu
(Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:
> I have recently heard a nasty rumor:  That CE's Quickmail will not operate
> as a gateway on an SE30 (ethernet).  Is this true?

The following appeared on CE's support forum on Compuserve earlier this month:

"Both QuickMail and Ethernet cards in an SE or SE/30 (This only applies to
SERVERS)  run at interrupt level.  This means that either will interrupt
the machines processing at any time in order to do what is necessary for
its operation.

The conflict comes when both try to do their normal operations at the same
time.  The result is that they battle each other for control until the
server crashes.

As to when the server crashes is directly related to the amount of traffic
on the network, particularly at the time just before the crash.  Larger
networks with high traffic tend to crash quite frequently and smaller
networks with lower levels of traffic tend to crash less often. The
worst-case scenario is that the server will crash a few seconds after
booting or not boot at all, while the best case seems to be normal
operation for a few days.

The above scenario only applies to SE and SE/30 SERVERS.  It does not
apply to  the Mac II, Mac IIcx, Mac IIci, Mac IIx and Mac IIfx, nor does
it apply to workstation machines using Ethernet.

CE Software's recommendation is that in order to run QuickMail on an
Ethernet equipped server that the server be a Mac II class machine.
(Since speed is usually a main issue in deciding to go with Ethernet in
many cases, the network will benefit from a server machine, in most cases,
that is faster than an SE/30)

Jeff Raser
CE Software Tech Support"

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (02/01/91)

ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:

>I have recently heard a nasty rumor:  That CE's Quickmail will not operate
>as a gateway on an SE30 (ethernet).  Is this true?

Do you mean that you are setting up the QuickMail server on the SE/30?
We have QM set up on an SE/30 in a lab environment to test email, gateways,
and other messaging engines, so no one really uses many of the packages
we evaluate (thankfully, this case).  The most reliable part of our
QM server is its ability to hang every night between 8pm and 5am.

>I want to connect up to SMTP and some other Quickmail sites.  This will
>somebody from another department put a big red circle on my design and said,
>"Quickmail gateway will lock up on a EtherTalk SE30."  Has anyone had this
>problem?

The SMTP shouldn't be a probelm as soon as Starnine Technologies comes
out with their QM-SMTP gateway.

rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (Robin Goldstone) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.165930.5290@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) writes:
>The SMTP shouldn't be a probelm as soon as Starnine Technologies comes
>out with their QM-SMTP gateway.

Huh? GatorMail-Q, which *is* StarNine's QM-SMTP gateway, has been out for
almost a year!  Cayman Systems sells this software, though StarNine is
still responsible for the development.

Robin Goldstone, California State University, Chico  Computing Services
rgoldstone@oavax.csuchico.edu

steph@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Stephen Sakamoto) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.165930.5290@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) writes:
>ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:
>

>>I want to connect up to SMTP and some other Quickmail sites.  This will
>>somebody from another department put a big red circle on my design and said,
>>"Quickmail gateway will lock up on a EtherTalk SE30."  Has anyone had this
>>problem?
>
>The SMTP shouldn't be a probelm as soon as Starnine Technologies comes
>out with their QM-SMTP gateway.

CE has told me that there is a problem running Quickmail with ethernet
on an SE or SE30. It works fine on any MacII. The problem is related to
network traffic. We have Quickmail running on a MacSE with Kinetics card and
it crashes every couple of months. Also running it on a IIcx with about
150 users with no problems.

We are also using the Starnine SMTP gateway. It's been available for over a
year from Cayman. They call it GatorMail Q.

Stephen Sakamoto
UCLA Computer Science Department
steph@cs.ucla.edu

--

ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) (02/02/91)

> I have recently heard a nasty rumor:  That CE's Quickmail
> will not operate as a gateway on an SE30 (ethernet).  Is
> this true?

I've been running QuickMail in addition to Cayman's GatorMail-Q on an
SE30 equipped with a Novell EtherPort card for at least 6 months.

As long as you don't expect heavy traffic on this machine it will
probably work.  However I agree with CE Software's recommendation in
using a Mac II class machine in this situation as I did have a Mac IIx
that I used while I was evaluating the QuickMail/GatorMail-Q
combination and it was more reliable.

Chriss Koch      Ampex Video Systems Corp., 725 Wooten Rd., Colo Spgs, CO 80915
UUCP:  uunet!ampex!soul!ckoch                 SCORPION BBS 719.637.1458 (sysop)

typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) (02/04/91)

rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (Robin Goldstone) writes:

>Huh? GatorMail-Q, which *is* StarNine's QM-SMTP gateway, has been out for
>almost a year!  Cayman Systems sells this software, though StarNine is
>still responsible for the development.

And it works fine, running on an SE that is not only the QM server
but also acts as Appleshare server to five workstations. In all
that time, only a couple of minor crashes (caused by gamma rays, I
think).

--
John Wilkins, Manager, Publishing & Advertising, Monash University
Melbourne, Australia - Internet: john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au