[comp.sys.mac.misc] Advice sought

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (02/06/91)

Currently, my Laserwriter and another Mac are hanging off the
network via a Kinetics Fastpath 4 box.  This peice of garbage
seems to overheat after being on more than an hour or so and
my Laserwriter vanishes off the network (thus preventing me
from printing from my Mac).  The box has been changed twice and
the problem persists.  Can someone recommend a BETTER brand?
Or would I be better off putting an ethernet card in that other
Mac II (which is currently dangling onto the network via that
fastpath box) and just hooking the Laserwriter up to the
network that way?

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Regards,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (Bob Jenner) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.202215.11258@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
> Currently, my Laserwriter and another Mac are hanging off the
> network via a Kinetics Fastpath 4 box.  This peice of garbage
> seems to overheat after being on more than an hour or so and
> my Laserwriter vanishes off the network (thus preventing me
> from printing from my Mac).  The box has been changed twice and
> the problem persists.  Can someone recommend a BETTER brand?
> Or would I be better off putting an ethernet card in that other
> Mac II (which is currently dangling onto the network via that
> fastpath box) and just hooking the Laserwriter up to the
> network that way?

Maybe your problem is not the F'Path bridge? We have 4 of these bridges on
campus and have had no problems at all. In fact I protested when one of
the bridges was installed in an unventilated cupboard (the one this
message is sent via, in fact).We have sometimes had problems with nodes
"disappearing" off the network and have traced them back to faulty wiring
or unterminated ends on the network.
It might pay to get your appletalk net checked out...regards,

Bob Jenner, Northern Territory University
Computing Dep't.
PO Box 40146, Casuarina NT Australia 0810
Tel 089-466397

rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (Robin Goldstone) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.202215.11258@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Currently, my Laserwriter and another Mac are hanging off the
>network via a Kinetics Fastpath 4 box.  This peice of garbage
>seems to overheat after being on more than an hour or so and
>my Laserwriter vanishes off the network (thus preventing me
>from printing from my Mac).  The box has been changed twice and
>the problem persists.  Can someone recommend a BETTER brand?

We have been using Kinetics Fast Paths for almost two years now.  We have
never had a single problem with them.  It is unfortunate that you are
having problems.  Have you considered checking your power source, room
temperature or other sources that could be causing the box to 'overheat'?

I don't have a specific answer to your problem.  But I hate to sit here
and let someone give a FastPath the undeserving name 'piece of garbage'.

Robin Goldstone, California State University, Chico  Computing Services
rgoldstone@oavax.csuchico.edu