[comp.sys.mac.misc] How do I write Polish on my Mac?

serges@daimi.aau.dk (Ulrik Serges) (02/05/91)

Regular (Adobe) PostScript fonts includes the diacritical mark "ogonek"
("inverse cedilla") and the special letter "L with dash" used in Polish,
but in the Macintosh characters set, these characters are replaced by
some other characters.
  To use these characters, I would have to remap my character set; has
anyone done this? How could it be done? I think, I have to remap both
the FONT-resource and the PostScript-definition of the font; the former
can be done by fiddling around with ResEdit; but how do I do the latter?
--
Ulrik Serges   Email to:  serges@kemi.aau.dk  or  serges@daimi.aau.dk

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.153204.9402@daimi.aau.dk> serges@daimi.aau.dk (Ulrik Serges) writes:
>Regular (Adobe) PostScript fonts includes the diacritical mark "ogonek"
>("inverse cedilla") and the special letter "L with dash" used in Polish,
>but in the Macintosh characters set, these characters are replaced by
>some other characters.
>  To use these characters, I would have to remap my character set; has
>anyone done this? How could it be done? I think, I have to remap both
>the FONT-resource and the PostScript-definition of the font; the former
>can be done by fiddling around with ResEdit; but how do I do the latter?

I have seen a PostScript font catalog for non-english languages, including
Russian, Slavic, Cyrillic, Vietnamese, MidEast Times, Tibetan, (French,
Spanish, ... Roman alphabets). And on to Malayalam, Bengali DD, Devangari,
Katakana, Bopomofo Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic, Mongolian ('Phas-pa).  I think
you're getting the picture.

They seem to support times and helvetica on roman-related alphabets.

They also supply (or just compatibility with?) script manager software,
to support some right-to-left writing with some WPs.

It comes from:

Ecological Linguistics,
PO Box 15156
Washington DS, 20003
USA
(202)546-5862

Their Type 1 fonts seem to cost about $60-$200 US ($40 for roman alphabets).
They also have some utilities that provide sane sorting order for Excel, ...

They request $5.00 US (and a self-addressed address label) for a copy of
their catalog.  I got mine as a result of my user group affiliation.

Standard Disclaimers Apply
--
Richard Straka                    AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP:     att!ihlpf!straka        MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane