[comp.sys.mac.misc] Why does my startup screen come up in 1-bit mode ** Solved **

mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (02/05/91)

In message <21899102051030espen@math.uio.no> espen@math.uio.no
(Espen J. Vestre) writes:

>In article <1991Feb4.193244.23829@cs.uoregon.edu> mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu
>(Michael A. Kelly) writes:
>> It used to be that my startup screen (whether it be a picture or just the
>> normal welcome message) would come up in the mode my monitor was last set
>> at (usually 8-bit mode).  Now, although my monitor is still set at 8-bit
>> mode, it comes up in 1-bit mode for a few seconds, then it switches to 8-
>> bit mode, in the process clearing the screen to gray.  Then the inits
>> start loading, starting with 32-bit quickdraw.
>>

>I had a similar problem (the startup screen was _just_ b/w) after my IIx
>was at service.  The problem disappeared by setting the numbers of colors
>to 256.  Of course, 256 colors were already selected, but selecting it
>once more probably tidied things up.

Sure enough, it worked.  I set the number of colors to 16, then to 256, then
restarted.  Everything is back to normal now.  I had recently removed the
video card, and replaced the monitor cable.  Anyone know why this happens?
Are some settings getting zapped in the card or the monitor?

Mike.

--
Michael A. Kelly                 | "Fish heads, fish heads,
Internet: mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu  |  Roly-poly fish heads,

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (02/06/91)

<
< (Espen J. Vestre) writes:
<
< >I had a similar problem (the startup screen was _just_ b/w) after my IIx
< >was at service.  The problem disappeared by setting the numbers of colors
< >to 256.  Of course, 256 colors were already selected, but selecting it
< >once more probably tidied things up.
<
< Sure enough, it worked.  I set the number of colors to 16, then to 256, then
< restarted.  Everything is back to normal now.  I had recently removed the
< video card, and replaced the monitor cable.  Anyone know why this happens?
< Are some settings getting zapped in the card or the monitor?
<
The video card information is also recorded in the "scrn" resource in the
System file. If this doesn't match the PRAM data and the card positions (most
commonly, when you move the video card to a different slot), the screen gets
reset when booting.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/