[comp.sys.mac.misc] Running MS-DOS on MacII si?

tallmar@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Mark Tallon) (01/29/91)

I have a MacII si (with a superdrive) and am trying to run MS-DOS files.  In
my user manual it says if I have a superdrive and Apple File Exchange I can
do this.  Then it goes on to list the procedure on how to convert MS-DOS to
Mac via the Apple File Exchange program.  So I get some games from an IBM friendand translate them as explained in my manual.  Everything goes fine until I go
to execute the files.  All of them give the system message "Application is busy or missing".  Am I missing something?  Do I need additional software or
hardware?  The manual says all I need is a superdrive and Apple FIle Exchange.

If anyone knows how to do this please e-mail or post.  Thanks

-Ryan
tallmar@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

linc@tongue1.Berkeley.EDU (Linc Madison) (01/29/91)

In article <tallmar.665112497@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU>
tallmar@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Mark Tallon) writes:
>I have a MacII si (with a superdrive) and am trying to run MS-DOS files.
>So I get some games from an IBM friendand translate them [w/ Apple File
>Exchange].  Everything goes fine until I go to execute the files.  All
>of them give the system message "Application is busy or missing".  Am I
>missing something?  Do I need additional software or hardware?  The
>manual says all I need is a superdrive and Apple FIle Exchange.

Yes, you need additional software or hardware.  Apple File Exchange
(AFE) can translate documents, but you can't run IBM application
programs on a Macintosh without a special setup.  Essentially this is
because the IBM and the Macintosh use completely different CPU chips, so
the machine-language instructions in an application are different.
There are some plug-in boards available for the Mac II (on the IIsi, you
have to buy an expansion chassis to allow you to plug in an expansion
card, and the total cost is probably a large fraction of $1000) that
will give you an actual IBM-clone CPU and let you run IBM software.  The
other option is to get software that translates the machine-language
instructions from IBM to Macintosh.  This is available for about $200.

All in all, though, for most things your best bet is to get Mac programs
for your Macintosh.  There's plenty of stuff available public domain or
shareware from local user groups, from comp.binaries.mac, or by
anonymous ftp from archive sites like sumex-aim.stanford.edu (look in
the directory "info-mac").  You'll need BINHEX or a compatible utility
to use any files you get from the Internet.

-- Linc Madison   =   linc@tongue1.berkeley.edu

P.S. Also, be sure you get an anti-viral program right away!  Games on
University campuses are favorite sites for spreading viruses.
Disinfectant 2.4 is available for free from the places mentioned above.

m_pitt@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (02/02/91)

Soft PC package will permit an Apple to emulate an IBM computer and run
IBM packages.

sitar@mte.ncsu.edu (02/07/91)

>I have a MacII si (with a superdrive) and am trying to run MS-DOS files.  In
>my user manual it says if I have a superdrive and Apple File Exchange I can
>do this.  Then it goes on to list the procedure on how to convert MS-DOS to
>Mac via the Apple File Exchange program.  So I get some games from an IBM
friendand translate them as explained in my manual.  Everything goes fine until
I go
>to execute the files.  All of them give the system message "Application is
busy or missing".  Am I missing something?  Do I need additional software or
>hardware?  The manual says all I need is a superdrive and Apple FIle Exchange.

Yes, you are missing something! As manual says, you can translate files using
Apple File Exchange, but it does not say anything about applications that's
what the games are. If you want to run IBM games, you need additional software,
SoftPC, or a hardware IBM compatibel card. SoftPC is relatively inexpensive
option and works fine also on IIsi.
Good luck, Zlatko.