[comp.sys.mac.misc] Epson LX-800

tvolin@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Troy Volin) (02/01/91)

I have an Epson LX-800 (compatible with basically every Epson, so you can
ignore the model number).  Can I use it with the Mac I've ordered (but not
received yet)?  Will it require any special emulating software to intervene in
printing?  Thanks in advance...

        -Troy

INET: tvolin@gnh-applesauce.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!tvolin
ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!tvolin@nosc.mil

johnim@euler.Berkeley.EDU (John Im) (02/02/91)

In article <7344@crash.cts.com> tvolin@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Troy Volin) writes:
>I have an Epson LX-800 (compatible with basically every Epson, so you can
>ignore the model number).  Can I use it with the Mac I've ordered (but not
>received yet)?  Will it require any special emulating software to intervene in
>printing?  Thanks in advance...
>
>        -Troy

The best way to hook up parallel printers to a Mac that I've found is using
the Grappler by Orange Micro.  You need the Grappler 9-pin, I believe, while
the Grappler LX is for 24-pin printers.

It's simply a cable with a hardware translator that translates the code from
the Imagewriter print driver into instructions you specific printer can
understand.  So, you don't need additional cables or drivers, and it's 100%
compatible (you can do anything an Imagewriter can, although it also means
you can't take advantage of any special feature of your printer that the
imagewriter can't do).

I've been using a Grappler LQ (older version of the LX) with an Epson LQ-1000
for a few months.  I've printed out tons of stuff from lab reports (with LOTS
of graphs) to CAD drawings, and I've had no problems.

I have no affiliation with Orange Micro or Epson.  I'm just a very satisfied
customer.

- John

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (02/06/91)

As quoted from <7344@crash.cts.com> by tvolin@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Troy Volin):
+---------------
| I have an Epson LX-800 (compatible with basically every Epson, so you can
| ignore the model number).  Can I use it with the Mac I've ordered (but not
| received yet)?  Will it require any special emulating software to intervene in
| printing?  Thanks in advance...
+---------------

You have two choices:

(1) Get PrintLink Collection.  This gives you fast printing, but it only does
72dpi graphics.  (Fonts are done at full resolution, however, so all-text
documents come out quite nice --- especially if you have Adobe Type Manager.)

(2) Get a Grappler LQ card.  This is a combination serial-to-parallel
converter (most Macs don't have parallel ports) and ImageWriter LQ-to-Epson
converter; it does both graphics and text at full resolution, but since it
does this by interpreting ImageWriter LW control codes and graphics and
converting them to Epson LQ control codes and graphics *outside* the Mac,
it's SLOOOOOOOOW.

Some day, Apple will actually complete the "New Print Architecture" they were
blathering about back when they first announced System 7 (it's now been put
off until some later release, so what's new) and it may actually be possible
to write decent print drivers without blackmailing someone at Apple for the
super-secret information on how to write print drivers that they won't give us
peons.  :-(

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

johnim@euler.Berkeley.EDU (John Im) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.040415.6785@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:

>(2) Get a Grappler LQ card.  This is a combination serial-to-parallel
>converter (most Macs don't have parallel ports) and ImageWriter LQ-to-Epson
>converter; it does both graphics and text at full resolution, but since it
>does this by interpreting ImageWriter LW control codes and graphics and
>converting them to Epson LQ control codes and graphics *outside* the Mac,
>it's SLOOOOOOOOW.

Just a few corrections to the above:

Actually, you only need the Grappler 9-pin for and Epson FX-800.  The
Grapper LX (new version of LQ) is only for 24-pin printers.  It's also
a cable, not a card, so you don't take up any slots.  As for speed, I
use a Grappler LQ with an Epson LQ-1000, and it prints faster than my
housemate's Imagewriter (not to mention looking about 1000x better :-).
In any case, the Grappler comes with a print spooler.  It's not the
greatest, but it works well.  The best thing about it is that since
you're using the Imagewriter driver, you don't have any compatability
problems.

- John

kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) (02/07/91)

I have a Grappler LQ, and I wanted to say that printing speed largely
depends on the kind of mac you're using. I upgraded from a Mac+ to an
SE/30 and print jobs that took 2 hours now only take 35 minutes.
That's because the mac has to do some scaling from 214 dpi to 180 dpi.
This scaling is very processor intensive.
I wrote an article about the Grappler LQ, and you can ftp it from
sumex-aim.stanford.edu as info-mac/report/grappler-lq.txt