[comp.sys.mac.misc] Macintosh emulation

klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (steve klingsporn) (02/05/91)

I must show my disgust in that copies of "pirate" Macintosh ROMs do
exist (as do pirate copies of the AMAX-II software) in the Amiga
community and all over AMIGA bulletin boards across the nation, and
due to the method in which the AMAX software indeed "reads ROMs into
RAM," users are provided with an often seemingly "fully-functional"
Macintosh.

My question is this:  Legal?  I worked for Apple for 2 years and often
do back in Chicago when I'm not at school.  Obviously the fact that
Amiga (read "Toy") users are so "lucky" (as are ATARI-ST users) to
have in reality a "free Macintosh" (though compatibility is not always
a reality) bothers me...

I assume that System 7.0 has "preventative measures" against such
"emulators," but of course, I'm unsure.

Any response to this news would be great; I'd appreciate a copy
via email to klingspo@holst.cs.colostate.edu

Cheers,

Steve Klingsporn
CS Major & Visionary "wanna-be,"
Colorado State University

In article <12538@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (steve klingsporn) writes:

>I must show my disgust in that copies of "pirate" Macintosh ROMs do
>exist (as do pirate copies of the AMAX-II software) in the Amiga
>community and all over AMIGA bulletin boards across the nation, and
>due to the method in which the AMAX software indeed "reads ROMs into
>RAM," users are provided with an often seemingly "fully-functional"
>Macintosh.

	This is hardly specific to the Amiga. People pirate on
every machine. Copying of that pirate version of AMax II is
illegal both to Apple and to Readysoft, the emulator maker.

>My question is this:  Legal?  I worked for Apple for 2 years and often
>do back in Chicago when I'm not at school.  Obviously the fact that
>Amiga (read "Toy") users are so "lucky" (as are ATARI-ST users) to
>have in reality a "free Macintosh" (though compatibility is not always
>a reality) bothers me...

	Well, since you say "read Toy" without a smiley you're a
closed-minded idi*t. Not the Amiga is a god-send, but the
opposite position is just as stupid. I'm open to corrections.
	Ignoring that, the legality is a big issue. Assuming the
user bought the ROM like he was supposed to, from his position he
owns the ROM and has a right to use it. The emulator works by
reading the ROMs, copying them into RAM, making a few patches and
running the code.
	The catch comes with the System Software. It says in the
license that the OS can't be used on an emulator without
permission in writing, and there is no chance of getting that.
However, shrink-wrap licensing's validity is in question and
there is no official decision by the courts.
	In other words, this is grey-area. The problem from
Apple's perspective is that it isn't the AMax people's crime. It
is the users crime for loading the OS into an emulator. And then
Apple would have to sue every user individually, which would be
ridiculous. Also, it is possible to call the Amiga a Mac and not
an emulator because it is using Mac coding, not a rewritten
equivalent. Anyway, Apple doesn't want to give the Amiga any
unnecessary coverage.

>I assume that System 7.0 has "preventative measures" against such
>"emulators," but of course, I'm unsure.

	So am I.

>Any response to this news would be great; I'd appreciate a copy
>via email to klingspo@holst.cs.colostate.edu
>

>Cheers,
>
>Steve Klingsporn
>CS Major & Visionary "wanna-be,"
>Colorado State University

	-- Ethan

Q:	What's the definition of a Quayle?

A:	Two right wings and no backbone.

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (02/05/91)

klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (steve klingsporn) writes:

>My question is this:  Legal?  I worked for Apple for 2 years and often
>do back in Chicago when I'm not at school.  Obviously the fact that
>Amiga (read "Toy") users are so "lucky" (as are ATARI-ST users) to
>have in reality a "free Macintosh" (though compatibility is not always
>a reality) bothers me...

I'd like to correct at least half of that statement.  The Macintosh
emulator on the Atari ST, Spectre GCR, will now work with a copied
EPROM.  The manufacturer/programmer, Dave Small, programmed it that
way.  He wouldn't divulge the method used as that might allow people
to bypass it, but it won't work with bootleg PROMs.

Additionally, it seems to be at least as compatible as most of the
Mac II's in existance.

--
 "And now, adding color                 |    Il Hwan Oh
  a group of anonymous, Latin-American  |    University of Washington, Tacoma

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (02/05/91)

In article <12538@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (steve klingsporn) writes:

>I must show my disgust in that copies of "pirate" Macintosh ROMs do
>exist (as do pirate copies of the AMAX-II software) in the Amiga
>community and all over AMIGA bulletin boards across the nation,

I have had AMax since it first came out.  I purchased the ROMs legally from an
Apple ROM distributer, and I have been active in many discussions concerning
this emulator for the past two years.  I had heard that some versions of AMax
were indeed pirated, but it is not nearly as epidemic as you make it out to be.

Most AMax users, and everyone who I've SEEN use AMax, use the 128K Apple ROMs,
purchased entirely legally.  There are major problems with not using the actual
ROMs, including not being able to read actual Mac-formatted disks.  The ROM
cartridge is required for this.

>and due to the method in which the AMAX software indeed "reads ROMs into
>RAM," users are provided with an often seemingly "fully-functional"
>Macintosh.

Seemingly?  Where do you get this?  My version of AMax-II runs every Mac
program I use at work, and I'm a Mac consultant.

>My question is this:  Legal?  I worked for Apple for 2 years and often
>do back in Chicago when I'm not at school.  Obviously the fact that
>Amiga (read "Toy") users are so "lucky" (as are ATARI-ST users) to
>have in reality a "free Macintosh" (though compatibility is not always
>a reality) bothers me...

Hm.  I hadn't realized that this was comp.sys.mac.advocacy... Hang on...
Nope.  It's not.  Then I must take offense at this posting.  My Amiga is as
far from being a "toy" as the NeXT is from being obsolete.  It's apparent
that you haven't seen a 3000UX.

>I assume that System 7.0 has "preventative measures" against such
>"emulators," but of course, I'm unsure.

AMax-II Plus is a card for the 2000-3000 series, and I hear that expectations
are rather high that it will be fine while running system 7.

>Any response to this news would be great; I'd appreciate a copy
>via email to klingspo@holst.cs.colostate.edu

Indeed, to tie this to the NeXT, I would be ecstatic if a ROM- or software-
based Mac emulator were to appear on the NeXT.  The Mac OS is bad enough that
we must endure it to be tied to an architecture as archaic as the Macintosh.

>Cheers,
>
>Steve Klingsporn
>CS Major & Visionary "wanna-be,"
>Colorado State University

Dave Hopper      |      /// The Amiga:      | The great strength of the total-
                 | __  ///                  | itarian state is that it forces
bard@jessica.    | \\\/// The Cybernetic    | those who fear it to imitate it.
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Revolution is NOW! |               --Adolph Hitler

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (02/05/91)

> >My question is this:  Legal?  I worked for Apple for 2 years and often
> >do back in Chicago when I'm not at school.  Obviously the fact that
> >Amiga (read "Toy") users are so "lucky" (as are ATARI-ST users) to
> >have in reality a "free Macintosh" (though compatibility is not always
> >a reality) bothers me...
> >
> 	Well, since you say "read Toy" without a smiley you're a
> closed-minded idi*t. Not the Amiga is a god-send, but the
> opposite position is just as stupid. I'm open to corrections.

I agree. Talk like that belongs in alt.flame, where you will be happily
roasted until you are crispy brown and then smothered in a tasty sauce.

Remember it.

adam

p.s.
At what point will Mac-snobbery finally go out of style?

---
   Adam Smith

  asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca  The Chameleon Papers - Vancouver, BC CANADA
             Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy  -> REFUSE TO FIGHT!
   "Just when you thought it was safe to admit you're a human being..."

mikec@vs02wor.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (02/05/91)

In article <12538@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (steve klingsporn) writes:

>I must show my disgust in that copies of "pirate" Macintosh ROMs do
>exist (as do pirate copies of the AMAX-II software) in the Amiga
>community and all over AMIGA bulletin boards across the nation, and
>due to the method in which the AMAX software indeed "reads ROMs into
>RAM," users are provided with an often seemingly "fully-functional"
>Macintosh.
>
>My question is this:  Legal?  I worked for Apple for 2 years and often
>do back in Chicago when I'm not at school.  Obviously the fact that
>Amiga (read "Toy") users are so "lucky" (as are ATARI-ST users) to
>have in reality a "free Macintosh" (though compatibility is not always
>a reality) bothers me...

I don't want to start a mess here, this being a NeXT group. I just want
to mention that when I had my Atari ST, I had to go to an Apple Dealer
and buy Apple ROMs. Apple, to this day, makes no fuss over this.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu

derek@coco2.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (02/06/91)

In article <Du0Vw1w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam
Smith) writes:

>At what point will Mac-snobbery finally go out of style?

       When ALL computer snobbery does.  I still know people who claim
their Commodore 64s can do whatever my Mac does.  Hokay.

>adam

                                                Derek L.
--
not that there's anything WRONG with a C=64... HEAVENS, NO!

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (02/06/91)

In article <Du0Vw1w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) writes:
>At what point will Mac-snobbery finally go out of style?
>---
>   Adam Smith

The day after the PC "lovers" decide that the Mac is here to stay and quit
putting us down for using the Mac. We should all realize that the choice of
computing system should be based on the task it is needed for. In many cases
this is a PC, or a Sun, or Next, or whatever. For my use it is generally a
Mac (although I type this on a Sparcstation...).  Unfortunately, since the
Mac was introduced (I got my 128K in Feb of 1984) the "other guys" have been
taking cheap shots. After a while you get tired of it and strike back.

Is this snobbery? And on whose part?

I chose Mac because I like the machine. It has a good OS, and a great user
interface. I enjoy developing software on it. I don't enjoy developing
software on a PC. Need I say more?

Flames to /dev/null.

- Jack Brindle, WA4FIB.

In article <1991Feb5.200753.12357@MDI.COM> jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) writes:
>In article <Du0Vw1w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) writes:
>>At what point will Mac-snobbery finally go out of style?
>>---
>>   Adam Smith
>
>The day after the PC "lovers" decide that the Mac is here to stay and quit
>putting us down for using the Mac. We should all realize that the choice of
>computing system should be based on the task it is needed for. In many cases
>this is a PC, or a Sun, or Next, or whatever. For my use it is generally a
>Mac (although I type this on a Sparcstation...).  Unfortunately, since the
>Mac was introduced (I got my 128K in Feb of 1984) the "other guys" have been
>taking cheap shots. After a while you get tired of it and strike back.
>
>Is this snobbery? And on whose part?

	The person who said "Amiga (read TOY)" was being
snobbish. That is what is generally defined as cheap shot, or
stating a controversial opinion without giving any reasoning.
Trust me, being an Amiga owner we've been dealing with it for
quite a while. It seems to be human nature, for people to join
one group and attack all others.

	When will it go out of style? Never.

>I chose Mac because I like the machine. It has a good OS, and a great user
>interface. I enjoy developing software on it. I don't enjoy developing
>software on a PC. Need I say more?

	That's the right answer. Not "read Toy". Similar insults
can be said about every computer, including the Mac.

>Flames to /dev/null.
>
>- Jack Brindle, WA4FIB.

	-- Ethan

Q:	What's the definition of a Quayle?

A:	Two right wings and no backbone.

6600dadg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Dadgar) (02/06/91)

In article <Du0Vw1w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) writes:

>p.s.
>At what point will Mac-snobbery finally go out of style?

When the Mac does, too.  :)      <-- see?  smiley!

>---
>   Adam Smith

+-------------------+---------------------------+------------------+
|    Mark Dadgar    | 6600dadg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu | Bill & Opus -'92 |
+-------------------+---------------------------+------------------+
|  From the dolequeue to the regiment a profession in a flash,     |
|  But remember Monday signings when from door to door you dash.   |
|  On the news a nation mourns you unknown soldier count the cost. |
|  For a second you'll be famous but labelled posthumous.          |
|  Forgotten Sons.  Forgotten Sons.                                |
|                                   - Marillion, 1983              |
+----------Would UCSB write anything this intelligent?-------------+

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (02/07/91)

In article <15809@milton.u.washington.edu> iho@akbar.UUCP (Il Oh) writes:
>klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (steve klingsporn) writes:
>
>>My question is this:  Legal?  I worked for Apple for 2 years and often
>>do back in Chicago when I'm not at school.  Obviously the fact that
>>Amiga (read "Toy") users are so "lucky" (as are ATARI-ST users) to
>>have in reality a "free Macintosh" (though compatibility is not always
>>a reality) bothers me...
>
>I'd like to correct at least half of that statement.  The Macintosh
>emulator on the Atari ST, Spectre GCR, will now work with a copied
>EPROM.

	Just another tidbit of information that I haven't seen in this
discussion yet...

	There exist, for both the Atari Mac Emulator and the Amiga Mac
Emulator, pirate-modified versions that read the ROM code from disk.
In other words, they've dumped the ROM to a disk file, and use -that-,
as opposed to the actual ROM chips.

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.175526.11323@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

>	There exist, for both the Atari Mac Emulator and the Amiga Mac
>Emulator, pirate-modified versions that read the ROM code from disk.
>In other words, they've dumped the ROM to a disk file, and use -that-,
>as opposed to the actual ROM chips.

Yes, yes yes.... it's true that they DO exist. I should know, I've
seen them in action...  Besides which there are some serious
limitations of not BUYING the Amax hardware.

AMAX works as such... it has two formats of reading disks. The first
is done with the AMAX hardware and the ROMS and an APPLE MAC drive..
With this setup, you can read, write, move, etc, etc everything Mac..
It's great..

The other format, is as such. Once a MAC program is in memory, it can be
written into AMAX format. that is, which MACINTOSH programs WORK
SOELY in AMIGA drives. ie: Mac program, written in AMAX format...

Get it?

Without the hardware, the reading of a disk right out of a genuine mac
is impossible. If you have the hacked-in AMAX version, you cannot
use Macintosh disks hot outta the mac... they have to be converted -
either by uploading and downloading them, of by null modem - both,
which must be time consuming and the like...

They *DO* exist, granted.. but the thing to remember is *COMPATIBILITY*..
THE COMPATIBILITY factor without the hardware and roms is limited, because
you cant for instance, write a program on AMAX and give the disk
to your MacinBuddy... It wont happen.

It has to be converted, etc etc - and I dont think too many people will
actually go thru the trouble of converting stuff thru modem or cable
EACH TIME They wish to yap with a real mac... it's a pain in the butt.

If you have any questions about AMAX, i'd be glad to answer them to
clear this up...

Monitor of comp.sys.amiga.emulations
-jeremy

> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.ed      |          -Rabbit, from
> gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu       +          "The House at Pooh Corner"

--
E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
  Unix    //		  jeremy@freezer.it.udel.edu (line 1 = jeremym)

mmcnew@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Monty McNew) (02/07/91)

| I must show my disgust in that copies of "pirate" Macintosh ROMs do
| exist (as do pirate copies of the AMAX-II software) in the Amiga
| community and all over AMIGA bulletin boards across the nation, and
| due to the method in which the AMAX software indeed "reads ROMs into
| RAM," users are provided with an often seemingly "fully-functional"
| Macintosh.

Well, at least one positive to this very true observation.  It was the showing
of the AMAX Mac emulator (software version) on my Amiga 500 that prompted me
to sell my Amiga 500 and buy a Macintosh.

My Amiga friend really regrets ever showing it to me now :)
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!mmcnew                             707/437-4734
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!mmcnew@nosc.mil             Fairfield, CA
Disclaimer: Odyssey's sysop disavows any knowledge of my signature file.

mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) (02/08/91)

In article <12538@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (steve klingsporn) writes:

> I must show my disgust in that copies of "pirate" Macintosh ROMs do
> exist (as do pirate copies of the AMAX-II software) in the Amiga
> community and all over AMIGA bulletin boards across the nation, and
> due to the method in which the AMAX software indeed "reads ROMs into
> RAM," users are provided with an often seemingly "fully-functional"
> Macintosh.
>
> My question is this:  Legal?  I worked for Apple for 2 years and often
> do back in Chicago when I'm not at school.  Obviously the fact that
> Amiga (read "Toy") users are so "lucky" (as are ATARI-ST users) to
>

> Cheers,
>
> Steve Klingsporn
> CS Major & Visionary "wanna-be,"
> Colorado State University

First of all, I have not seen one pirate of the Macintosh ROMs on any bulletin
board in Spokane (second largest city in Washington state) nor have I seen one
pirate copy of AMAX-II.

Second of all, where is your justification in calling the Amiga a toy?  Tell
me, I want to know how my performing class programming assignments, producing
documents, producing applications, playing an occasional game, along with my
wife's production of professional artwork and documents describes my Amiga as
a toy.  Being a CS major, you SHOULD now that there is no one computer for all
jobs, and that even though one computer has an edge over another computer in
one area, the same computer is more than likely inferior to the other in another
area.

I know that this does not belong here, but I am an Amiga owner and a NeXT user
that enjoys this area of the net, but get quite annoyed by persons who make the
ignorant statements like the one above by Mr. Klingsporn.

Just my 2 cents worth

Mathew Pierce