[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac LC or NEXT

Alfredo.Jimenez@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Alfredo Jimenez) (01/26/91)

For twice the price I can get ten times the computational power.  Sounds
like a bargain.  But the way I see it, a computer is a box and if the box
does the job then why not go with the cheaper box.  I have useful software
currently running on a macplus and volumes of data.  Should I consider
moving to a Next?

Also, any thoghts on market penetration for the Next versus the Mac?  If I
buy a Next will I be the only kid in this sandbox with this high-tech
shovel?  After six years, is it time to dump Apple?

--
Alfredo Jimenez via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!Alfredo.Jimenez

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (01/31/91)

>Also, any thoghts on market penetration for the Next versus the Mac?  If I
>buy a Next will I be the only kid in this sandbox with this high-tech
>shovel?

Probably.  MacWorld magazine says that 1 million Macs will be sold
in 1991.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan31.132606.9845@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

   >Also, any thoghts on market penetration for the Next versus the Mac?  If I
   >buy a Next will I be the only kid in this sandbox with this high-tech
   >shovel?

   Probably.  MacWorld magazine says that 1 million Macs will be sold
   in 1991.

Will that give Apple 10% of the market?  How many Mac's has Apple
sold?  There are anywhere from 25 to 40 million DOS machines.  If you
want that warm and fuzzy feeling of owning a machine that everyone
else owns, buy a PC.

NeXT is starting to catch on.  The lack of software is its main
problem, but they do have some big names like Word Perfect, Lotus,
FrameMaker, Quark XPress, and Adobe writing software for the NeXT.
Pick up a the first issue of NeXT World, and read comp.sys.next for a
couple of weeks.  That should give you some idea of how NeXT is doing.

-Mike

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) (02/01/91)

In article <md9G!eib@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>Will that give Apple 10% of the market?  How many Mac's has Apple
>sold?  There are anywhere from 25 to 40 million DOS machines.  If you
>want that warm and fuzzy feeling of owning a machine that everyone
>else owns, buy a PC.
>
>NeXT is starting to catch on.  The lack of software is its main
>problem, but they do have some big names like Word Perfect, Lotus,
>FrameMaker, Quark XPress, and Adobe writing software for the NeXT.
>Pick up a the first issue of NeXT World, and read comp.sys.next for a
>couple of weeks.  That should give you some idea of how NeXT is doing.
>
>-Mike

Who are you, anyway?

For a week or so now, this current Mac/NeXT war has been going on, and your
name has become increasingly familiar.  It seems as though you are the *entire*
NeXT side of this conversation.  It's been stated before that the NeXT is not
truly a home computer. I have no *valid reason* to own anything more than my
Classic, with the possible exception of a few serious number-crunching programs.
If I want number crunching... I'll use a mainframe at my school/employment.

To modify a subject line of a few months ago...
Surely a VAX 9000 blows a NeXT away!

I've spent considerable time with a Mac IIsi, and a bit of time with a NeXT,
my computer is my hobby... it sort of defeats the purpose of a hobby to do
things as quickly as possible.  Sure, more power is fun, but it's far from
necessary.  And I'd get lost on a 17" screen.  Maybe for this reason, you
could call me an "average Mac User who wouldn't need a NeXT".  Maybe so, but
a whole lot more people use SEs than use IIfx's.  For the same reason, more
people will use Macs (cheap ones) than NeXTs.

Now, let's get back to Mac discussions, will we?  How about a new newsgroup:
    Comp.sys.mine-is-better-than-yours,
possibly with Mac-PC, Amiga-Mac, Mac-NeXT subgroups.

Dennis Lippert - macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu

sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark T. Sandrock) (02/01/91)

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) writes:

>In article <md9G!eib@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>NeXT is starting to catch on.  The lack of software is its main
>>problem, but they do have some big names like Word Perfect, Lotus,
>>FrameMaker, Quark XPress, and Adobe writing software for the NeXT.
>>Pick up a the first issue of NeXT World, and read comp.sys.next for a
>>couple of weeks.  That should give you some idea of how NeXT is doing.

>Who are you, anyway?

>For a week or so now, this current Mac/NeXT war has been going on, and your
>name has become increasingly familiar.  It seems as though you are the *entire*
>NeXT side of this conversation.  It's been stated before that the NeXT is not
>truly a home computer. I have no *valid reason* to own anything more than my
>Classic, with the possible exception of a few serious number-crunching programs.

And who are you?  You don't speak for this newsgroup any more than anyone else.
I find the Mac-NeXT comparisons quite interesting and informative. I use an
accelerated Mac Plus with a Radius FPD, which I have been slowly upgrading for
the past 4 years, but if I were starting out today I would have to give serious
consideration to the NeXT as a viable DTP platform. "Wars" are a waste of net
bandwidth--we all agree--so let's all cut each other a little slack then.

Besides, the Mac and the NeXT have something important in common: Steve Jobs.
This makes the comparison especially interesting, I think.  Check out the
recent MacWorld (or MacUser) article--the new NeXT compares quite well against
the high-end Macs. (Sorry if this has already been pointed out too often!)

Regards,
Mark Sandrock
--
BITNET:   sandrock@uiucscs	        Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Internet: sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu   Chemical Sciences Computing Services

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (02/01/91)

In article <13255@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) writes:

   Or NeXT could just dump Display PostScript.  God, PostScript was a dog
   when Sun unofficially dumped NeWS (I believe they still support their
   users stupid enough to lock into it) and it is still a dog on the
   Silicon Graphics -- rumors say they are dumping it also.  A graphics
   coprocessor won't help much, PostScript is slow even on a 33 MIPS
   Turbo Iris.
   kuehlkr@mentor.cc.purude.edu

I know people(and have seen a lot of articles posted by people), who
state that Sun should have never dropped News.  They claim it was
great.  Sun still ships News with their OpenLook system(
X11/News/Sunview).  It might be a scaled down version though.  Read
comp.windows.misc and sooner or later someone will mention News.

HP is rumored to have a 50mip machine that they will be releasing
sometime this year.  The entry level price is around $10,000.  I say
bag low-level programming and device-dependant imaging models.
Computer performance is such that we can afford to waste a few mips on
Display Postscript, OO programming, and other high level languages.
You might say "C forever", but will your competition?

-Mike

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (02/02/91)

On 31-Jan-91 in Re: Mac LC or NEXT
user Dennis H Lippert@unix.ci writes:
>In article <md9G!eib@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D
Mellinger) write
>s:
>>Will that give Apple 10% of the market?  How many Mac's has Apple
>>sold?  There are anywhere from 25 to 40 million DOS machines.  If you
>>want that warm and fuzzy feeling of owning a machine that everyone
>>else owns, buy a PC.
>>
>>NeXT is starting to catch on.  The lack of software is its main
>>problem, but they do have some big names like Word Perfect, Lotus,
>>FrameMaker, Quark XPress, and Adobe writing software for the NeXT.
>>Pick up a the first issue of NeXT World, and read comp.sys.next for a
>>couple of weeks.  That should give you some idea of how NeXT is doing.
>>
>>-Mike
>
>Who are you, anyway?
>
>For a week or so now, this current Mac/NeXT war has been going on, and your
>name has become increasingly familiar.  It seems as though you are the
*entire*
>NeXT side of this conversation.  It's been stated before that the NeXT is not
>truly a home computer. I have no *valid reason* to own anything more than my
>Classic, with the possible exception of a few serious number-crunching
programs.
>If I want number crunching... I'll use a mainframe at my school/employment.
>
>To modify a subject line of a few months ago...
>Surely a VAX 9000 blows a NeXT away!
>
>I've spent considerable time with a Mac IIsi, and a bit of time with a NeXT,
>my computer is my hobby... it sort of defeats the purpose of a hobby to do
>things as quickly as possible.  Sure, more power is fun, but it's far from
>necessary.  And I'd get lost on a 17" screen.  Maybe for this reason, you
>could call me an "average Mac User who wouldn't need a NeXT".  Maybe so, but
>a whole lot more people use SEs than use IIfx's.  For the same reason, more
>people will use Macs (cheap ones) than NeXTs.
>
>Now, let's get back to Mac discussions, will we?  How about a new newsgroup:
>    Comp.sys.mine-is-better-than-yours,
>possibly with Mac-PC, Amiga-Mac, Mac-NeXT subgroups.
>
>Dennis Lippert - macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu

Dennis,
    Please calm down.  It seems to me that Alfredo had a question about
LC vs NeXT and Michael answered one of Alfredo's concerns about software
availability and the longevity of NeXT.  There is nothing wrong with
that.

    If you hate NeXT for some reason or just hate fast computers and
large screens :-), that is fine.  But please don't attack people for
helping someone with a computer question.  That is what this bboard was
created for.

ps
Alfredo,
    If you are reading this, I suggest you post your original question
to netnews.comp.sys.next also.  If you ask a question about Computer#1
vs Computer#2 on a bboard that discusses Computer#1, then you will get a
VERY biased response.  You should get opinions from both sides of the
firing line.

Len

claytor@tandem.physics.upenn.edu (Nelson Claytor) (02/02/91)

Michael Mellinger writes:
> Some people in this newsgroup act
> like PC owners did a couple of years ago(some still do).  "But there's
> more software."  "Does it run Lotus 123?"  "Everyone else uses PC's!"
> "Is it IBM compatible?"  "Will Apple be in business in 5 years?  IBM
> surely will be."  "I hate winodows. I like function keys."

This sort of baiting is a bit absurd. The Mac and the NeXT represent a
drastic paradigm shift from the PC; the NeXT does not offer a drastic
shift from the Mac. The NeXT may be faster, it may be cheaper, it may have
a DSP, but NeXTStep is not a drastic shift from the Mac interface. The
NeXTs are very nice machines at very good prices (regardless of the fact
that the NeXTDimension that keeps getting compared with a IIfx/24 bit card
seems to be vapor for the indefinite future :-)), but they are not really
so different as to justify a comparison of Mac users with PC users 5 years
ago. After all, the PC people are *still* defending them, even after the
Mac has removed all the "no software, no slots, no...." objections :-).

Nelson

Nelson Claytor
claytor@tandem.physics.upenn.edu

rk39+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Joseph Kuszewski) (02/02/91)

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) writes
>It's been stated before that the NeXT is not
>truly a home computer.

Where is the term "home computer" defined and how does NeXT not fit that
definition?  It seems to me that a "home computer" is one that can be
used effectively in a home.  That is:  (1) it is not reliant on a
network (as many UNIX mahcines are) and (2) It does not require an
unusual environment (that is: it does not draw as much current as a
VAX9000 or need a large, constant air motion, et cetera).  Please
correct me if I'm wrong, but the NeXT (as well as the Mac and PC) fits
these criterion and, therefore, should be called a home computer.

>I have no *valid reason* to own anything more than my
>Classic, with the possible exception of a few serious number-crunching
programs.

A few things on this one... whether or not *you* have valid reason to
have anything more powerful or faster than a Mac Classic has nothing to
do with the comparison of the machines.  In fact, I really don't think
that too many people care if you need more power than a Mac Classic
unless they are taking a survey of people's needs (which might be a good
idea).  The question is: for what applications do you need more power or
less power than a given standard (like a classic) and how much patience
do you have to wait for the computer to finish that task?  For example,
I need much more power than a classic, because I'm a programmer and need
a reasonable compile-test-edit loop speed.  Therefore, even a CX or CI
is slow for me.  In this case (and for other programming reasons) I
would suggest a NeXT. On the other hand, if you are just using the
machine for word processing and the editing speed of a low-end mac is
good for you, I would suggest a Mac.

>If I want number crunching... I'll use a mainframe at my school/employment.

Didn't just just say that a mac is a home computer?  I don't know about
you, but I (like most people) don't have a mainframe in my basement.  So
the question is, what does the fact that *you* have access to a
mainframe have to do with which machine is a better home computer?

>my computer is my hobby... it sort of defeats the purpose of a hobby to do
>things as quickly as possible.

Most of us do not feel that way.  A computer is a tool to help complete
a given task in the minimum about of time and effort.  If everyone felt
the way you do, then we would all still be using PDP/11's.

>And I'd get lost on a 17" screen.  Maybe for this reason, you
>could call me an "average Mac User who wouldn't need a NeXT".

Because you would get lost on a 17" screen?  Most of us would love to
have a 17" grayscale on our desks, especially with a window-dependant
multitasking environment.  This way we can see the whole picture at once.

>Maybe so, but
>a whole lot more people use SEs than use IIfx's.  For the same reason, more
>people will use Macs (cheap ones) than NeXTs.

There are more Commodore 64's than SE's out there.  Does that mean that
anyone interested in a reasonably-priced computer should get an C-64?
Where does the question of computer reliability and power come into
question?  Only at a certain leved does it become important?  If so,
when and by who's definition?

This is coming from the same person who, in the same message, wrote:
>For a week or so now, this current Mac/NeXT war has been going on, and your
>name has become increasingly familiar.  It seems as though you are the
*entire*
>NeXT side of this conversation.

Later,

Bob

Executive Member
Team Clueless

cs00jec@unccvax.uncc.edu (Jim Cain) (02/03/91)

In article <137661.27A25062@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Alfredo.Jimenez@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Alfredo Jimenez) writes:
>For twice the price I can get ten times the computational power.  Sounds
>like a bargain.  But the way I see it, a computer is a box and if the box
>does the job then why not go with the cheaper box.  I have useful software
>currently running on a macplus and volumes of data.  Should I consider
>moving to a Next?

After 4 years of being a die-hard Mac evangelist, I patiently await the
arrival of my NeXT. For about $3200 edu, I could not justify getting
less than what the NeXT offers by sticking with my religion and buying
a Mac IIsi. And I've got UNIX!!

>Also, any thoghts on market penetration for the Next versus the Mac?  If I
>buy a Next will I be the only kid in this sandbox with this high-tech
>shovel?  After six years, is it time to dump Apple?

NeXT appears to be on its way up. I can live with the lack of apps
for now because I'll have all I need for the immediate future (all
the development tools included, Mathematica, TeX, etc.). Of course
that doesn't mean the NeXT will meet everyone's immediate needs.

Apple seems to have lost their creative spirit IMHO. They are living
on their past glories. It's time to move on.

Jim Cain
cs00jec@unccvax.uncc.edu

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (02/04/91)

In article <jibGribc@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>   I know people(and have seen a lot of articles posted by people), who
>   state that Sun should have never dropped News.  They claim it was
>   great.  Sun still ships News with their OpenLook system(
>   X11/News/Sunview).  It might be a scaled down version though.  Read
>   comp.windows.misc and sooner or later someone will mention News.

You might even read comp.windows.news :-)

NeWS was not scaled done. It was improved, and a new toolkit was
included (although it is a prototype and unsupported).

Now that Sun has a reasonable version of X, rumor has it thay are
spending more time with NeWS. New, supported toolkits are rumored.

Display PostScript and NeWS are two very different beasts. DP is a
rendering engine, while NeWS is a complete environment. NeWS is more
flexible that any other window system I have ever seen, and it has
solved problems that the people using X windows won't solve for years,
if ever.

Yes, NeWS is neither public domain, nor 100% portable.  Building applications
using NeWS is like building applications using the Mac toolbox. :-)

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

fozzard@alumni.colorado.edu (Richard Fozzard) (02/05/91)

In article <jibGribc@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>bag low-level programming and device-dependant imaging models.
>Computer performance is such that we can afford to waste a few mips on
>Display Postscript, OO programming, and other high level languages.
>You might say "C forever", but will your competition?

Maybe so, but how many people will actually use your device-independent
approaches? There is a limit to the performance hit that people are
willing to take for device independence. I have talked with several
NeXT developers, and they all have had to put special code in their
programs that bypass DP and do things with straight bitmaps (or other
technique) to get acceptable screen performance. Such code would presumably
not port to NeWS, of course. And from the very beginning PC and Mac
programmers (especially for games where performance is key) have bypassed
the "proper" way of displaying to the screen. The hard fact is that
programmers for a given platform will always "cheat" to get better
performance, no matter how fast the platform.

BTW, I find it ironic that a NeXTNuT would be defending programming for
device independence, when a NeXTStep/Objective C program is about as
device-dependent as you can get. The NeXT company and most of its user
community has rejected X out-of-hand - NeXT is probably the only
workstation manufacturer to not provide a company-supported X.

I like the NeXT very much, and have used it to develop some small programs.
It is a wonderful development environment, the best on the market, I'd say.
Yet the code runs ONLY on a NeXT (and the very few IBM 6000s that NeXTStep
has shipped for). That is exactly why I have failed to convince my
superiors to buy any. The programs I build using Guide/OpenWindows on
a Sun run on anything (even PCs and Macs) that can run an X-server.
Programs I build in HyperCard run on Macs and PCs, and when Spinnaker
finishes their Plus for X later this year, everything else.

By refusing to provide a hardware-independent NeXTStep X toolkit,
NeXT has negated the most significant advantage of its machine!
No doubt, NeXTStep on top of X would run rather slowly, but at least
it would RUN! And it seems to me that this would only help sales
of NeXT hardware, as the fastest way to both write and run such
programs.

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
Univ of Colorado/CIRES/NOAA	R/E/FS  325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)497-6011 or 444-3168

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.201342.28566@csn.org> fozzard@alumni.colorado.edu (Richard Fozzard) writes:

   BTW, I find it ironic that a NeXTNuT would be defending programming for
   device independence, when a NeXTStep/Objective C program is about as
   device-dependent as you can get. The NeXT company and most of its user
   community has rejected X out-of-hand - NeXT is probably the only
   workstation manufacturer to not provide a company-supported X.

Yeah, not being able to use Objective C on another platform really
rots.  However, GCC 2.0 will include Objective C, so it's not a
permanent problem, for some of us.  It looks like it might be out by
summer.

Penncomm will officially ship X for the NeXT on March 15.  I think
Motif has also been ported.  There was a buggy, but usable version(and
free) that ran under 1.0, but not 2.0.

   I like the NeXT very much, and have used it to develop some small programs.
   It is a wonderful development environment, the best on the market, I'd say.
   Yet the code runs ONLY on a NeXT (and the very few IBM 6000s that NeXTStep
   has shipped for). That is exactly why I have failed to convince my
   superiors to buy any. The programs I build using Guide/OpenWindows on
   a Sun run on anything (even PCs and Macs) that can run an X-server.
   Programs I build in HyperCard run on Macs and PCs, and when Spinnaker
   finishes their Plus for X later this year, everything else.

Can't you localize your output routines?  Just #ifdef.  Write your
code in C or C++ and only use Objective C where you need to.

   By refusing to provide a hardware-independent NeXTStep X toolkit,
   NeXT has negated the most significant advantage of its machine!
   No doubt, NeXTStep on top of X would run rather slowly, but at least
   it would RUN! And it seems to me that this would only help sales
   of NeXT hardware, as the fastest way to both write and run such
   programs.

X is being beta-tested right now.  Does X in one window and a PC AT in
another provide enough compatibility with the rest of the world?

-Mike

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (02/05/91)

As quoted from <85859@unix.cis.pitt.edu> by macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert):
+---------------
| Now, let's get back to Mac discussions, will we?  How about a new newsgroup:
|     Comp.sys.mine-is-better-than-yours,
| possibly with Mac-PC, Amiga-Mac, Mac-NeXT subgroups.
+---------------

alt.religion.computers?

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (02/05/91)

As quoted from <agcGih-b@cs.psu.edu> by melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger):
+---------------
| Then don't buy one.  This isn't comp.sys.mac.classic.  A variety of
| people read this newsgroup.  If you are only in the market for a Mac
| Classic then buy one.  NeXT doesn't offer a product for you.  If you
+---------------

This no doubt explains why he's still sending me mail to try to persuade me to
switch from my SE to a NeXT....

++Brandon
--

fozzard@alumni.colorado.edu (Richard Fozzard) (02/08/91)

In article <-v6G=!#e@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes
:
>X is being beta-tested right now.  Does X in one window and a PC AT in
>another provide enough compatibility with the rest of the world?

This misses the point. I want NeXTStep on X, not X on NeXTStep. That is
so programs I write using NeXTStep will run on other machines, perhaps
with no more than a recompile. Then I would have a developer's dream
machine. Until then, the NeXT is a slick personal computer for Unix
geeks and undemanding desktop publishers.