[comp.sys.mac.misc] WANTED: Information on Mac->VGA displays

ez002644@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Eric W. Douglas) (01/29/91)

Then.. Saiid Paryavi (paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu) writes:

>Here is the layman's guide to building a cable to connect the LC to standard
>VGA monitors:

[schematic deleted. available on request]

>Put the hoods on and if you did everything right, it should work just fine.
>It works good for me.

>WARNING:  Do this at your own risk.  I am not responsible for the acuracy
>of the above and I am definately not responsible for whatever goes wrong.

What I am wondering is, is that this should work for *any* macintosh
with 8bit video, right? I mean the specs for the LC video port would be
the same as an 8/24 card, right? So, how come this hasnUt been attempted
before, or, if it has, how come it is not public knowledge?

I would like anyone who has tried the VGA configuration on the LC, or one
who has tried it with an 8, 8/24 card and VGA, to send me mail, and
report their results. (i.e. clarity, picture quality, etc.)

I have seen VGA monitors considerably cheaper than most mac color monitors,
and I beleive this would be highly benificial to a lot of people.

I will summarize all responses and post them.

Thanks for your time.

Eric W. Douglas                        * internet: ericd@csufres.csufresno.edu
Dept. of Computer Science              *           ez002644@deneb.ucdavis.edu
California State University, Fresno    *

leburg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Pierson) (01/31/91)

Hello Netland,

	I would have sent email to the original poster but I thought that
there might be more interest in it. The febuary COMPUTER SHOPPER has a two
page article in it covering how to use multisync VGA monitors. It explains how
to make cables for several monitors. The article says that the SI,LC,and CI
can run this off the onboard monitor connection. It also states that it will
work with the 4/8, 8/24,and the 8/24GC cards. I haven't tried this but plan to.
The Shopper is on the newstand now. It does seem to be a well written article.
Good luck to those who try

Brian Pierson

m_pitt@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (02/09/91)

Pleas send me the schematic ASP, I am a recent Mac convert who has
an IBM NEC 3D I want to connect to an LC, so I can afford to buy it.

Thanks

Mark Ungoed Pitt

Thanks again!!!