[comp.sys.mac.misc] Color GIF -> Color StartupScreen

vito@ucscb.ucsc.edu (66115000) (02/03/91)

I have a simple color GIF file that I wish to convert eventually to a Startup-
Screen.  So, I got gifconverter-211 from sumex.  Unfortunately when I save the
GIF in PICT format I end up with bad results.  Superpaint indicates that the
resulting file cannot be opened and may be damaged.  Is there another share
ware converter available?  Can gifconverter gif the desired results?

|             Cowell College, University of California, Santa Cruz       //   |
|             0X >> Theta Chi Fraternity, Theta Iota Chapter << 0X     \X/    |

djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com (David McDowell) (02/08/91)

If you have the chance use Adobe Photoshop 1.0.7. It's really a good
application (expensive if you use it for conversion only though). It reads and
writes ALL MAJOR FORMATS. GIF, PICT, EPS, Amiga IFF, ThunderScan, MacPaint
etc.
----
ProLine:  djm@pro-odyssey
Internet: djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!djm
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!djm@nosc.mil

piper@s5000.RSVL.UNISYS.COM (Piper Keairnes) (02/12/91)

djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com (David McDowell) writes:

>If you have the chance use Adobe Photoshop 1.0.7. It's really a good
>application (expensive if you use it for conversion only though). It reads and
>writes ALL MAJOR FORMATS. GIF, PICT, EPS, Amiga IFF, ThunderScan, MacPaint
>etc.

A shareware package (or maybe PD) called Giffer will do the job. Load in your
PICT or GIF file and save as a startup screen. BUT, if the color palette
of the picture is not the same as the standard 256 color palette found in
something like the color picker, then your color startup screen may not look
exactly like what you wanted.

--
Piper Keairnes         * piper@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com        *
Unisys Corporation     * uunet!s5000.rsvl.unisys.com!piper  *