[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple sabotage???

michael@psych.uucp (Michael Gemar) (02/07/91)

I was sent this piece by a friend, and thought mac.netters might be
interested:

Slogan in an ad in the Edmonton Journal, Thursday, Dec. 13, 1990:

"The less you know about home computers
the more you'll want the new IBM PS/1."

(Gee, does Big Blue have Apple "moles" doing their advertising? :-)

- michael

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.025319.26286@psych.toronto.edu> michael@psych.uucp (Michael Gemar) writes:

   I was sent this piece by a friend, and thought mac.netters might be
   interested:

   Slogan in an ad in the Edmonton Journal, Thursday, Dec. 13, 1990:

   "The less you know about home computers
   the more you'll want the new IBM PS/1."

   (Gee, does Big Blue have Apple "moles" doing their advertising? :-)

Apple usually doesn't resort to such tactics.  However, I do believe
the statement is true.

-Mike

hermens@jed.cs.uidaho.edu (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.025319.26286@psych.toronto.edu> michael@psych.uucp (Michael Gemar) writes:

>I was sent this piece by a friend, and thought mac.netters might be
>interested:
>

>Slogan in an ad in the Edmonton Journal, Thursday, Dec. 13, 1990:
>
>"The less you know about home computers
>the more you'll want the new IBM PS/1."
>
>(Gee, does Big Blue have Apple "moles" doing their advertising? :-)
>

>- michael

    Shouldn't that read:  "The less you know about home computers, the more
                           likely it is that you will accidentally pick IBM PS/1."

Smile :-)

Leonard

berger@atropa (Dire Wolf) (02/08/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Feb7.025319.26286@psych.toronto.edu> michael@psych.uucp (Michael Gemar) writes:

>   "The less you know about home computers
>   the more you'll want the new IBM PS/1."

>Apple usually doesn't resort to such tactics.  However, I do believe
>the statement is true.
*----

I do too.  But I think it's especially funny to see the Mac fans knock
the machine that has all the "features" that prompted owners of the
"toaster" macs to buy their machines in the first place.  It's
complete, self-contained, non-expandable, and designed for people
who don't know which way to turn the light bulb when they change it.
In other words, it's aimed at the Macintosh market.  Except that it
doesn't have a 9" screen.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) (02/08/91)

In article <.?bGu2dh@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Feb7.025319.26286@psych.toronto.edu> michael@psych.uucp (Michael Gemar) writes:
>
>   I was sent this piece by a friend, and thought mac.netters might be
>   interested:
>

>   Slogan in an ad in the Edmonton Journal, Thursday, Dec. 13, 1990:
>
>   "The less you know about home computers
>   the more you'll want the new IBM PS/1."
>
>   (Gee, does Big Blue have Apple "moles" doing their advertising? :-)
>
>Apple usually doesn't resort to such tactics.  However, I do believe
>the statement is true.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You do mean people only want the PS/1 because they don't know what a stupid
piece of junk is really is, no?  :)

>-Mike

****    My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public   ****
Norton Chia	||  My address is carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
Micro Support	||	"When are they going to put in built-in spell-chequers"

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.233305.28984@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> berger@atropa (Dire Wolf) writes:
>I do too.  But I think it's especially funny to see the Mac fans knock
>the machine that has all the "features" that prompted owners of the
>"toaster" macs to buy their machines in the first place.  It's
>complete, self-contained, non-expandable, and designed for people
>who don't know which way to turn the light bulb when they change it.
>In other words, it's aimed at the Macintosh market.  Except that it
>doesn't have a 9" screen.

  WARNING!  This is NOT a flame!

  There is a small difference betwixt the PS/1 and any Mac, and we all
know what it is.  The Mac GUI.
  IBM PCs of any kind might have a GUI with Win3, but we all know that
the Mac GUI is far ahead of the Win GUI in terms of standardization and all
that other stuff that makes a Mac GUI a Mac GUI.

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.233305.28984@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> berger@atropa (Dire Wolf) writes:
>melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>

>>In article <1991Feb7.025319.26286@psych.toronto.edu> michael@psych.uucp (Michael Gemar) writes:
>
>>   "The less you know about home computers
>>   the more you'll want the new IBM PS/1."
>
>>Apple usually doesn't resort to such tactics.  However, I do believe
>>the statement is true.
>*----
>
>I do too.  But I think it's especially funny to see the Mac fans knock
>the machine that has all the "features" that prompted owners of the
>"toaster" macs to buy their machines in the first place.  It's
>complete, self-contained, non-expandable, and designed for people
>who don't know which way to turn the light bulb when they change it.
>In other words, it's aimed at the Macintosh market.  Except that it
>doesn't have a 9" screen.

Why should that be so funny?  What prompted us to "buy [our] machines in
the first place" was that fact that the Macintosh was a totally different
way of doing computing than we were used to.  We didn't particularly think
that non-expandability was an advantage, but that was the way the Mac came,
so we took it that way.  Of course it was underpowered for what it attempted
to do, but that has changed.  7 years later, times are different.  Mac users
do not have to accept non-expandability as a fact of life.  However, one of
the advantages of the IBM PCs and clones all along was their expandability.
Take that away, and it seems a ridiculous proposition to buy one (except,
perhaps, for portables, and the PS/1 does not really address that market).
Sure, PCs still have their advantages, but I think that the market for a
non-expandable PC will be severly limited at best, especially when
expandable clones are CHEAP.  Without the Mac interface, no PC really
addresses users who can't change light bulbs -- even Windows 3.0 isn't as
intuitive.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

--

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.031130.25998@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) writes:

   >   I was sent this piece by a friend, and thought mac.netters might be
   >   interested:
   >

   >   Slogan in an ad in the Edmonton Journal, Thursday, Dec. 13, 1990:
   >
   >   "The less you know about home computers
   >   the more you'll want the new IBM PS/1."
   >
   >   (Gee, does Big Blue have Apple "moles" doing their advertising? :-)
   >
   >Apple usually doesn't resort to such tactics.  However, I do believe
   >the statement is true.
   >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   You do mean people only want the PS/1 because they don't know what a stupid
   piece of junk is really is, no?  :)

   >-Mike

But of course.

-Mike

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (02/12/91)

As quoted from <1991Feb7.233305.28984@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> by berger@atropa (Dire Wolf):
+---------------
| "toaster" macs to buy their machines in the first place.  It's
| complete, self-contained, non-expandable, and designed for people
| who don't know which way to turn the light bulb when they change it.
| In other words, it's aimed at the Macintosh market.  Except that it
| doesn't have a 9" screen.

...or a decent user interface.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN