[comp.sys.mac.misc] oh ghod NeXT time.....

hagan@ecs.umass.edu (02/09/91)

agreed "if i see one more NeXT article..."

if i wanted to know what you Nextheads were doing, i would read
comp.sys.NeXT, or (to quote someone else, "comp.sys.mine_is_better_than_yours")

1) i have a lowly (obsolete mind you) macintosh plus, its slow, but servicable.

2) i also have unix, on a far greater scale than your puny little pee wee
   attempt at a unix box will ever dream of--its called a mainframe.

i am not trying to rank on the NeXT itself, it is a fabulous machine,
but that people have to sit there, after buying what they feel is the
right machine for themself, and tell other people that it is right for
them.

hows about keeping comp.sys.next in comp.sys.next; sometime i like reading
the postings about the macintosh, but, i often miss replys to things because
of all the comp.sys.next  spillovers which suck up all of the space on
this newsgroup (comp.sys.mac.misc)

craig hagan

( hagan@ecs.umass.edu )

power is relative, MIPS even more so...

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (02/10/91)

In article <12374.27b40897@ecs.umass.edu> hagan@ecs.umass.edu writes:

   agreed "if i see one more NeXT article..."

   if i wanted to know what you Nextheads were doing, i would read
   comp.sys.NeXT, or (to quote someone else, "comp.sys.mine_is_better_than_yours")

   1) i have a lowly (obsolete mind you) macintosh plus, its slow, but servicable.

   2) i also have unix, on a far greater scale than your puny little pee wee
      attempt at a unix box will ever dream of--its called a mainframe.

Hmmm.  Good God, what can I say?  Does your school have a $10,000,000
mainframe too?

   i am not trying to rank on the NeXT itself, it is a fabulous machine,
   but that people have to sit there, after buying what they feel is the
   right machine for themself, and tell other people that it is right for
   them.

My entire purpose was to inform people so that they could make a more
better decision when they purchased their NeXT computer.  Simply put:
this is your brain, this on your brain on a Mac :-) :-).  Just a joke.
I still use the Mac, and I still tell other people to buy them.

   hows about keeping comp.sys.next in comp.sys.next; sometime i like reading
   the postings about the macintosh, but, i often miss replys to things because
   of all the comp.sys.next  spillovers which suck up all of the space on
   this newsgroup (comp.sys.mac.misc)

Ya know, I don't see anything wrong with a little comparison and
contrast every know and then in a *.misc group.  The only problem is
that you get people who jump in and say stuff like "Yeah, but my
$100,000 mainframe is faster than your $5000 computer."

-Mike

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (02/12/91)

In article <$e8Ggofj@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>Ya know, I don't see anything wrong with a little comparison and
>contrast every know and then in a *.misc group.  The only problem is
>that you get people who jump in and say stuff like "Yeah, but my
>$100,000 mainframe is faster than your $5000 computer."

Well, gee, how sensitive.  I read a LOT of groups, and if I wanted information
about the NeXT, I'd read that group.  What is the point of separate groups if
some people think that what they have to say transcends group boundaries?

You may actually be doing somebody a favor by posting this informatio here, BUT
I guarantee you are also alienating people who might otherwise be recommending
NeXT machines.

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) (02/12/91)

In article <44022@ut-emx.uucp> awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes:

>Well, gee, how sensitive.  I read a LOT of groups, and if I wanted information
>about the NeXT, I'd read that group.  What is the point of separate groups if
>some people think that what they have to say transcends group boundaries?

What if somebody wants information on how Macs and NeXT machines compare?
Wouldn't you say that that "transcends group boundaries"?

You don't want to know?  Fine, put the word "NeXT" in your kill file.  Or
just skip those postings.  Lord knows there's enough drivel in this
newsgroup that a few postings comparing the Mac to the NeXT or Amigas
or whatever shouldn't make much of a difference.

And to some people it's useful information, as sharing of ideas usually is.

>You may actually be doing somebody a favor by posting this informatio here, BUT
>I guarantee you are also alienating people who might otherwise be recommending
>NeXT machines.

Oh, very nice.  "The NeXT is a great machine, but a couple of guys annoyed
me by posting about it in the wrong newsgroup, so don't buy it."

That's a great way to go about forming your recommendations.

- Trent Lange

* UCLA: 1990 NCAA Football Champions (yes, the other kind).              *
*       Oh yeah, 1990 Women's Volleyball Champions, too.                 *
*       And even our cheerleaders are improving (they're all human now). *