[comp.sys.mac.misc] ***** MPW & UNIX / INTERLACED GIF *****

niko@iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) (02/12/91)

Two questions:  1) has anybody tried porting UNIX software to the Mac
  using MPW -- is it a pain (> 32K array problems, 2 byte int problems,
  #defined positive constants yielding NEGATIVE results when multiplied)?

2)  I have a gif viewer for a DECstation (xshowgif) which shows some
    (interlaced?) gif files but the mac doesn't show them correctly.
    what's wrong, how do i convert them?

--

time@ice.com (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb12.052204.10925@news.iastate.edu>, niko@iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) writes:
> Two questions:  1) has anybody tried porting UNIX software to the Mac
>   using MPW -- is it a pain (> 32K array problems, 2 byte int problems,
>   #defined positive constants yielding NEGATIVE results when multiplied)?

MPW DOES NOT have the 2 byte integer problem! MPW (more accurately,
the MPW C compiler) integers are 4 bytes (Thank god!).

Arrays larger than 32K are also no longer a limit. New compiler options
allow for arrays that are very long, but the code is slightly less
efficient for these arrays ( OFFSET.W(Areg) versus OFFSET.L(Areg) ).

Don't know about that #defined positive number thingy unless it was
related to the 2 byte integer problem.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208