[comp.sys.mac.misc] 68040 for the Mac? Should be "Stagnation vs. Full Steam Ahead!"

andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca (Andy Babinszki) (02/12/91)

In article <d#5Gk8$k@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

> In article <1991Feb9.194049.19192@NCoast.ORG> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
>
>    How many low-end users plan to upgrade to System 7.0, much less 8.0?  That's
>    what I thought.  I have ATM, I have the software I need, I don't plan to
>    upgrade any of it.  I don't even *need* the SE/30 upgrade and am increasingly
>    contemplating throwing that money into the packet server.  Get a clue already,
>    will you?
>
> Hey, System 7.0 is slick.  Don't pass it up.  I don't think that many
> people will.  At least I hope they don't.
>
>    +---------------
>    | software will perform well on an SE.  Maybe Hypercard 3.0 will have
>    | direct support for color.  It's a shame that they had to leave it out
>    | of 2.0.
>    +---------------
>
> Come on, your a self confessed minimalist.  There aren't too many
> people like you in the world.
>
>    Should I care?  (hint, hint)
>
> There are a lot of people who use Hypercard that would like direct
> color support.  Let's hope Apple doesn't listen to you.
>
>    +---------------
>    | Image what software developers can do if memory considerations aren't
>    | important, and you've got CPU to burn.
>    +---------------
>
>    Should I care?  (hint, hint)
>
> Hey, how about the next time you feel like replying with this kind of
> a follow-up, do it via e-mail.  This is stupid trash (hint, hint).
> Why don't you just sit back, shut up, and watch the computer industry
> move towards the year 2000.  You have your SE.  What more do you need?
> You obviously don't have anything to contribute.  Apple didn't have a
> $1000 computer until 1990 and they managed to sell over 4 million
> machines.
>
> -Mike

Well there are two kinds of computer users, as seen above.  Some people I know are
still quite happy with their CP/M based Osbourne computers.  Others like myself and
presumably Mike, above, probably won't be happy until our desktop computers outperform
and out-"feature" most if not all mainframes.  Guess which class of user continually
drives changes in the industry?  No need to berrate Brandon, computer people can benefit
from the knowledge that there are computer users like that.  It is my contention that
the computer companies know what the power users want, however, they must temper
those wants with the realisation that the un-power users must be able to handle the
technology too.  And last but not least the things WE want must fit into their profit
plan!

Isn't this fun!!

Andy.

Andy Babinszki - andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca