[comp.sys.mac.misc] QMS PS-410... Good Deal ??

chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) (02/07/91)

Does anybody out there have a QMS PS-410 Laser Printer ???
Ads claim you can use either IBM or Mac to print.
My question : Does it require ANY additional hardware/software to
accomplish this besides the necessary cables ??
Is the print quality comparable to Mac Laser printers ??
I found it for $1929 in Computer Shopper from some company.
Can anyone beat the price ??  Is it worth it ??

Post or E-Mail... I don't care...

Thank You.
Chris Behrens
ChrisB@Hubcap.Clemson.Edu

feb@gumby.dsd.TRW.COM (Frank Bien) (02/08/91)

Yep, I bought a QMS 410 about three months ago. . . I run a Graphic
Design Service out of my home and needed a *fast* printer to print
ps files, etc.

I started with the Texas Inst. PS 35, but the print quality was poor -
so I returned it and got the QMS.  Although it is only 4ppm--the processor
more than makes up for it (68020 @16.7mhz) its been rated as the fastest
machine in its class for complicated printing.

Many macintosh mags have done write-ups on these new cheap ps lasers,
and all have put the QMS #1 in its class or near it.  Also, Personal
Publishing Magazine ranked it #1, which means something to DTP'ers.
Pers. Pub. is non-biased (both Mac and IBM readership) they really liked
the auto-switching IBM/MAC.  It does monitor all ports at the same time
and you can even set the buffer size for each port.  I only use a Mac at
home so I've never fooled with the other ports - - everything was included
(including screen fonts and utils).  Also it came with IBM disks which
I've never looked at.

The printer doesn't come with a paper tray, though.  No big deal for me,
the standard "platform" holds 50 sheets which is all I need.

I'm very happy with the QMS, and recommend it.  (also it uses a standard
toner cart. -- the same as the personal laserwriter IInt).

Frank Bien
feb@gumby.dsd.trw.com
213-812-5072
TRW Computer Security Services

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (02/13/91)

In article <12976@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris
Behrens) writes:
> Does anybody out there have a QMS PS-410 Laser Printer ???
> Ads claim you can use either IBM or Mac to print.
> My question : Does it require ANY additional hardware/software to
> accomplish this besides the necessary cables ??
> Is the print quality comparable to Mac Laser printers ??

It really does work in both environments at the same time. No additional
hardware or software is needed. The lucky PC user who got the parallel
port on the thing almost wet himself when he found out it would print
PostScript through the parallel port. I think it will also print HP PCL
jobs through the same port; it's supposed to automatically detect what
kind of job it's printing.

The printer worked OK as a LocalTalk printer until we hooked up the PC.
After that, the printer started randomly hanging up in the middle of print
jobs. It had the added benefit of hanging up the Mac involved. QMS has
offered to ship us a replacement unit with updated ROMs that may fix the
problem, but we haven't been able to get their customer service department
and our purchasing department to agree yet on how to do it.

The print quality is good.

The 50-sheet paper shelf is too small for a multi-user environment. One of
these days we may receive the paper tray we ordered for it two months ago.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard