[comp.sys.mac.misc] Dumb question about a 512

ddaniel@portia.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (02/09/91)

OK, this is a dumb question, but hey, I've never even seen a 512
before today.  One of my users has two 512's.  How can I tell if it's
enhanced or not?

Many thanks,

Daniel

--
                                   Daniel Sternbergh
                                   ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.031317.21128@portia.Stanford.EDU>, ddaniel@portia.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) writes:

> OK, this is a dumb question, but hey, I've never even seen a 512
> before today.  One of my users has two 512's.  How can I tell if it's
> enhanced or not?

Try an 800K floppy in it.  The 512E upgrade includes a floppy drive
upgrade too.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

-- Ask me about AppSizer (and ask Claris about Public Folder :-)

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (02/10/91)

ddaniel@portia.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) writes:
>OK, this is a dumb question, but hey, I've never even seen a 512
>before today.  One of my users has two 512's.  How can I tell if it's
>enhanced or not?
*----
If it has 800K diskette drives and/or 128K roms it's enhanced.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (02/13/91)

   Putting a 800K disk into a 512 is not a definitive way to tell if
it has 128K ROMs.  There are a few people who have upgraded ROMs
without changing the internal drive to 800K.  After all, as usual
Apple was charging much more than third party businesses for upgrades,
and the 3rd parties offered the upgrades a la carte.
   Attach an external 800K drive, and try a 800K disk.  If it works,
either:
   it has 128K Roms
   it has the file Hard Disk 20 in the boot 400K floppy.

--
Dan Dlugose
Internet: dlugose@uncecs.edu

bruner@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) (02/13/91)

To identify an unenhanced 512K Mac, boot the machine.  If the "Welcome
to Macintosh" box has a drop shadow, it has the 64K ROM's.
--
John Bruner	Center for Supercomputing R&D, University of Illinois
	bruner@csrd.uiuc.edu		(217) 244-4476