[comp.sys.mac.misc] NEC SilentWriter 2 -- Comments?

DSOLOMON@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Daniel Marc Solomon) (02/13/91)

  A friend of mine is considering buying a laser printer. He has seen
excellent reviews of the NEC SilentWriter2 290 model and is considering
purchasing it instead of an Apple or QMS LaserWriter.
  His considerations for the printer are:
   1. Should be PostScript and hassle-free in usage.
   2. Should be as inexpensive as possible.
   3. Should be durable and not break.

  He plans to keep this printer for at least two years.
  He will be doing mostly word processing on WriteNow and Microsoft
Word.

Please post your comments on this printer: good, bad, or otherwise.
Also, please MAIL A COPY of your comments to me, as I don't
read the groups very often and don't want to miss a reply.

THANX!

DSOLOMON@PUCC
DSOLOMON@phoenix.princeton.edu

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (02/13/91)

>  A friend of mine is considering buying a laser printer. He has seen
> excellent reviews of the NEC SilentWriter2 290 model and is considering
> purchasing it instead of an Apple or QMS LaserWriter.

He might want to wait another month. Apple is supposed to introduce a
new cheaper laserwriter in March, based on the TrueType page description
language, a successor to Postscript.

jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.015518.19862@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
>>  A friend of mine is considering buying a laser printer. He has seen
>> excellent reviews of the NEC SilentWriter2 290 model and is considering
>> purchasing it instead of an Apple or QMS LaserWriter.
>
>He might want to wait another month. Apple is supposed to introduce a
>new cheaper laserwriter in March, based on the TrueType page description
>language, a successor to Postscript.                    ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^  ^ ^^^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

NONONONONONONONONONONONO.
The new printer will be QuickDraw-based, augmented with the TrueType
rendering engine.  TrueType specifies a way to formally describe font
letterforms in terms of quadratic splines.  It is NOT a page description
language.  Printers with TrueType built-in will be able to render (TrueType)
fonts as well as or better than PostScript printers, but will continue to rely
on the source computer for all other rendering.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/14/91)

jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) writes:
>hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
>>the TrueType page description
>>language, a successor to Postscript.
>
>NONONONONONONONONONONONO.
>TrueType specifies a way to formally describe font
>letterforms in terms of quadratic splines.  It is NOT a page description
>language.

Perhaps he was thinking of TrueImage, the Postscript clone that LaserMaster
printers, among others, use.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone