[comp.sys.mac.misc] Word Perfect data format question

knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) (02/14/91)

I'm wondering what data formats Word Perfect on the MAC can handle. Can
it read/write RTF? (is this the same as "generic" word-processing format
mentioned in the PC Word Perfect manual?) Can it read/write PC format?

thanks in advance

tom

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (02/15/91)

In article <80370001@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com> knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom
Knotts) writes:
> I'm wondering what data formats Word Perfect on the MAC can handle.

As shipped, the only data format WordPerfect 2.0 handles is WordPerfect
2.0. It also ships with a number of translators that you must install to
use.  If you install them, you should be able to import DCA-RFT, RTF,
MacWrite (*not* MacWrite II), WordPerfect (Mac) 1.0, WordPerfect (PC) 4.2,
5.0 & 5.1, any translations that use Claris XTND technology, and a wad of
obscure PC word processors that no one uses. It also imports EPSF, GIF,
MacPaint (*not* MacPaint II, I think) and TIFF. It exports WordPerfect
(Mac) 1.0 and WordPerfect (PC) 5.0 & 5.1.

The word processing translators supplied by WordPerfect seem to have
worked OK in the few simple cases I tried, but the Claris XTND import does
not work. It is intended to let you use MacLink Plus translators for file
import. The instructions say that the translators must be in the Claris
folder in the System Folder, not in a folder in the Claris folder. I did
this thing, and MacWrite II didn't mind; it still used the translators.
WordPerfect didn't.

When I tried to open a file using Claris XTND import, I got an error
message saying that CMNU resource 612 was not found. I'd read about this,
so I knew to use ResEdit to change the ID of the one CMNU resource in
WordPerfect to 612. After doing this, attempting to open a file using
Claris XTND import gives the message "Translators not found in System
Folder or application folder."

I can't say whether the graphics import filters work or not; every time I
try to go into WordPerfect's graphics environment, it hangs my Mac.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (02/15/91)

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:

>I can't say whether the graphics import filters work or not; every time I
>try to go into WordPerfect's graphics environment, it hangs my Mac.

We had this problem too - it turned out that the problem was an INIT
we were using called "LaunchIt" which kept track of application usage
(I think that was what it was called - I can't remember off hand).

--
"Swing is a feeling... Everything else is just style."
				--Capt. Swing