[comp.sys.mac.misc] Macs are great...but Amigas are better?

andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca (Andy Babinszki) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Jan19.040432.21738@cs.dal.ca>, graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) writes:
> I've had a Mac Plus for almost 5 yrs now and Iove it. I have 4 megs
> of RAM and 65 megs of HD space.
> Anyway - some of my friends have Amigas - one has an Amiga
> 3000. They keep extolling the virtues of their machines and the
> inadiquacies of mine - all the way up  to the IIfx.
> [deletions...]
> etc etc etc etc...
>
> I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!    HELP!!!!!!
> RSVP ASAP
>
> mike
>
> ps - memory management....ARGGGGGGGGG......

I haven't heard much about Amigas lately.  Can someone give a brief synopsis of the
features of the current models & OS?

If I were to look into getting the biggest bang for the buck, including multitasking,
memory management, etc ... a used Silicon Graphics Personal Iris 3030 can be had at
a reasonable price.  It comes with some impressive 3-D applications.  It runs UNIX,
SGI graphical windowing system, comes with a 17" 1024X768 colour monitor and is about
half the size of a normal filing cabinet.  A couple of them were auctioned off locally
for ~$1300 CDN.  Pound for pound there is nothing more impressive as a centrpiece in
the living room! :-)

Andy.

Andy Babinszki - andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca

djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com (David McDowell) (02/17/91)

Amigas I have some knowledge about since I'm around an Amiga 2000HD everyday.
The Amiga is not a bad machine (I can hear the complaints now :)) but what it
is, is mismanaged for lack of a better word. The Amiga line could have been
the better computer than a Macintosh but the fact is Commodore didn't put much
thought into them. They even went so far as to design a card to slide into the
back of a 3000 only to realize that they designed the card TOO BIG!!
The Amiga has a load of games that are really, really good. The operating
system takes a little getting used to (almost half command-line and Half GUI).
The word processors are lousy, simply put. The graphics programs are fine as
long as you don't want any kind of real PostScript quality(the sophistication
is way below programs like Illustrator 3.0, Quark XPress for page layout etc.)
So, if you're on a limited budget and like really good games and above average
animation, go with an Amiga.
----
ProLine:  djm@pro-odyssey
Internet: djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!djm
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!djm@nosc.mil

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (02/17/91)

In article <7605@crash.cts.com> djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com (David McDowell) writes:

>Amigas I have some knowledge about since I'm around an Amiga 2000HD everyday.
>The Amiga is not a bad machine (I can hear the complaints now :)) but what it
>is, is mismanaged for lack of a better word. The Amiga line could have been
>the better computer than a Macintosh but the fact is Commodore didn't put much
>thought into them.

Hm.  This is an opinion.

>They even went so far as to design a card to slide into the
>back of a 3000 only to realize that they designed the card TOO BIG!!

You are thinking of the Video Toaster by NewTek, not Commodore.  NewTek
designed the card larger than the maximum specs for the video slot; ergo,
it fits in the 2000 series, but not in an A3000.  Not Commodore's problem.

[Lots of opinions deleted...]

Let's get back to the Mac now, shall we?

>Internet: djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com

Dave Hopper      |      /// The Amiga:      | The great strength of the total-
                 | __  ///                  | itarian state is that it forces
bard@jessica.    | \\\/// The Cybernetic    | those who fear it to imitate it.
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Revolution is NOW! |               --Adolph Hitler