[comp.sys.mac.misc] WANTED: a utility that will 'lock' my SE from prying people

jltaylor@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Taylor) (01/25/91)

I would like to have some little gizmo-program to lock my macSE while I
am away from the machine.  Something like XLOCK (from X Windows) would
be excellent, but the program needs only to lock my machine from people
and maybe blank the screen so they cannot see my display.  A passworded
system would be most excellent.  Any leads ???  Thanks for your help.

Please reply by e-mail ... I will post a summary if anyone is interested.

Jeff Taylor
jltaylor@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (01/29/91)

You may want to try buying "After Dark" from Berkely Systems.  Once you've
loaded it in, and re-booted, you can go into the control panel and set it
to password protect.  So that no one can disengage the screen saver without
the password.  I've never tried that on my machine, but for you it sounds
like it's the feature you want.

						Jim Collymore

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (02/02/91)

In article <166@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) writes:

>You may want to try buying "After Dark" from Berkely Systems.  Once you've
>loaded it in, and re-booted, you can go into the control panel and set it
>to password protect.  So that no one can disengage the screen saver without
>the password.  I've never tried that on my machine, but for you it sounds
>like it's the feature you want.
>
>						Jim Collymore

Unfortunately, even though After Dark isn't advertised as a maximum
security system, the glaring hole in the password feature is that
it's not required at boot time: all you need to do is reboot the machine,
and away you go!

It should prompt you for the password when the INIT is loaded, IMHO.

--Cy--
cy@dbase.a-t.com

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb1.224659.12501@dbase.A-T.COM> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
|In article <166@atux01.UUCP| jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) writes:
||You may want to try buying "After Dark" from Berkely Systems.  Once you've
||loaded it in, and re-booted, you can go into the control panel and set it
||to password protect.  So that no one can disengage the screen saver without
||the password.  I've never tried that on my machine, but for you it sounds

|Unfortunately, even though After Dark isn't advertised as a maximum
|security system, the glaring hole in the password feature is that
|it's not required at boot time: all you need to do is reboot the machine,
|and away you go!
|
|It should prompt you for the password when the INIT is loaded, IMHO.

Actually, the init will kick in and prevent booting off of the "normal"
system if the Mac was turned off WHILE after dark was active (read "pulled
the plug").  It works, but that's not the way I want to turn off my machine
on a normal basis.

Of course this cannot prevent one from walking up with a bootable floppy in
hand, ...
--
Richard Straka                    AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP:     att!ihlpf!straka        MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (02/17/91)

silverlining (by LaCie) will let you password protect some/all of your hard
drive (by using true SCSI partitioning & passwd on each partition)
-Brent