[comp.sys.mac.misc] A minor Compact Pro beef

231b3679@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (02/11/91)

Anyone else out there in netland that doesn't like the way CP batch
decompresses?  I don't like the fact that you can either have a folder
created for every archive, or no archives.  I think CP should look inside the
archive first.  If the archive has only one file, or one folder, it should
not create a folder!  It's stupid to create a folder, and then put a single
folder in it (or file). If the archive has 2 or more items, then a folder
should be created.  Mr. Goodman does know about this, because I suggested
it when I registered.  I'm sure glad he fixed that 'feature' so when you are
batch decompressing you don't have to sit there and click the 'keep' button
a million times.

_mike gleason

klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (02/15/91)

Mr. Goodman has created a most wonderful compression scheme/algorithm
that's nearly amazing.

My only beef with Compact Pro (the name's not that good) is
that the interface is terrible.  Take some clues from Aladdin Systems'
"StuffIt Deluxe," and while you're at it, Mr. Goodman, please
create an "Engine" extension when you have a future release!!!  This
is really cool -- look at White Knight 11.10, which lets you use
the "StuffIt Engine" from the app itself...

Dearly reminiscent of the IAC (InterApplicationCommunication) that
is coming soon with 7.0! :)

Steve Klingsporn

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (02/16/91)

In <12825@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (Steve Klingsporn)
writes:

>My only beef with Compact Pro (the name's not that good) is
>that the interface is terrible.  Take some clues from Aladdin Systems'
>"StuffIt Deluxe,"

  Are we talking about the same program? The user interface in *my* copy of
Compactor is very simple and easy to understand.

  As I know the Stuffit Deluxe contains a lots of useful features: Maybe
you're trying to say that you wish more fancy features in Compactor? If you're
not: please tell us what's so terrible with the interface!

klingspo@holst.tmc.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (02/19/91)

Compact Pro's interface isn't terrible, but it could be much better.
For instance, the popUp menus don't have down-arrows (neither do StuffIt's),
nor are they the correct size.  Things draw a bit weird, there aren't any
good menuItems, "BinHex4" is not a good title for a menuItem, but rather
"Encode/Decode BinHex" would be.

The interface needs work -- lacks a bit of intuitiveness that you come
to expect from Macintosh applications.

Steve Klingsporn
.