[comp.sys.mac.misc] Spyglass & NCSA Image,HDF,etc. ???

brian@granite.jpl.nasa.gov (Brian of ASTD-CP) (02/14/91)

We are reviewing a commercial Macintosh visualization
software product called "Spyglass."  Superficially, it
strongly resembles the suite of free visualization tools
from the the National Center for Supercomputer Applica-
tions (NCSA).  Some of those tools are "Image" and "HDF"
and "DataView."

Does anyone out there know what the relationship between
Spyglass and the NCSA tools is?  Is Spyglass some sort of
"industrial strength" or "professional" version of the NCSA
tools?  Or, can we save money and licensing hassles and yet get
the same functionality just by using the free tools?  Does
Spyglass actually give you anything for the money?

There is no mention of the NCSA tools in the Spyglass demo
documentation.  So, either there is a case of amazing
convergent evolution, or Spyglass is trying to pull a fast
one on us and charge big bucks for something you can get
elsewhere for free.  What gives?

brian
 . . Brian Beckman . . . . . . . . . . brian@granite.jpl.nasa.gov. . . .
 . . meta-disclaimer: every statement in this message is false . . . . .

hjelmflt@capella (Eric Hjelmfelt) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb13.234431.26255@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> brian@granite.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Brian of ASTD-CP) writes:
>We are reviewing a commercial Macintosh visualization
>software product called "Spyglass."  Superficially, it
>strongly resembles the suite of free visualization tools
>from the the National Center for Supercomputer Applica-
>tions (NCSA).  Some of those tools are "Image" and "HDF"
>and "DataView."
>
>Does anyone out there know what the relationship between
>Spyglass and the NCSA tools is?  Is Spyglass some sort of
>"industrial strength" or "professional" version of the NCSA
>tools?  Or, can we save money and licensing hassles and yet get
>the same functionality just by using the free tools?  Does
>Spyglass actually give you anything for the money?

The Spyglass products are direct successors to the ones from NCSA.  The
NCSA programmers struck out on their own and formed their own company a
few years ago.  The code has been completely rewritten and improved so
that it takes better advantage of the Mac's abilities.  Also, I believe
their latest release, (Dicer ?) has no direct ancestor at NCSA.

As far as functionality, there is not much comparison.  The new products
are infinitly better.  Furthermore, it seems unlikely that the free
ones are ever going to be substantially updated since the main
programmers left.

(p.s. I have no connection with the Spyglass other than once
interviewing for a summer job there.  They are located here in
Champaign.)
(pp.s.  You might try looking at the reviews in Byte and MacUser that
have appeared since last summer.)
 Eric Hjelmfelt                 |  disclaimer:  What?  They wouldn't let
   hjelmflt@                    |     me speak for them even if I were
      symcom.math.uiuc.edu      |        to pay them!

liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Daniel LaLiberte) (02/20/91)

Eric Hjelmfelt expressed several misunderstandings about the
relationship between NCSA software and commercial offshoots, such as
Spyglass.  I wish to clarify for the record.

> From: brian@granite.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Brian of ASTD-CP)
> >Does anyone out there know what the relationship between
> >Spyglass and the NCSA tools is?
>
> From: hjelmflt@capella (Eric Hjelmfelt)
> The Spyglass products are direct successors to the ones from NCSA.  The
> NCSA programmers struck out on their own and formed their own company a
> few years ago.  The code has been completely rewritten and improved so
> that it takes better advantage of the Mac's abilities.  Also, I believe
> their latest release, (Dicer ?) has no direct ancestor at NCSA.

True, the spyglass products are successors of the NCSA tools, except
for Dicer.  But only one NCSA programmer left NCSA to start up
Spyglass.  Also, the software has not been completely rewritten, as
far as I know.  In fact, the PalEdit portion of their package is older
than the currently available NCSA PalEdit.

> As far as functionality, there is not much comparison.  The new products
> are infinitly better.  Furthermore, it seems unlikely that the free
> ones are ever going to be substantially updated since the main
> programmers left.

Since the main programmers have, in fact, not all left, it is possible
that the NCSA tools will be substantially updated.  I expect we will
someday come out with dramatically restructured tools, but since we
are working on other tools too, it will take time.  It was not our
original intention that our free products remain in the lead.  Rather,
we had expected commercial products to eventually replace ours, and we
would go on to fill new niches.

disclaimer: This is not an official NCSA response.

Dan LaLiberte
liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu