[comp.sys.mac.misc] IBM been goowy for along tyme

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (02/09/91)

There is a package for the IBM pc called Ventura Publisher.  It is marketed
by Xerox. Ventura has a "good" GUI interface.  As a desktop publisher,
it IMHO beats the pants of of both Quark Xpress, and Pagemaker.
It is now available for the Mac.  We should see some sparks fly soon.

Ventura release 1.1 runs on a PC/XT with 640K, a hercules card (resolution
very close to a Mac) in B&W, and about 5 meg of disk space. I have been
using r1.1 for almost 3 years.  I have never bothered to upgrade, as I can
do just about anything I need with it. And to top it off, it runs under
GEM, which has got to be the worlds worst GUI manager.

My point?  Good GUI's, good software, etc, are NOT HARDWARE DEPENDENT.
The Mac's system makes it easier to code one, as most of it comes in rom.
The AMIGA's GUI has some good points over the MAC, Next Step has some
good points over the MAC, WINDOWS has some (but not many) good points over
the MAC MVS (IBM Mainframe) has some good points over the MAC. If you look for
good points over the MAC you will find them everywhere.

WHAT REALY MATTERS IS AVAILABLE APPLICATION SOFTWARE.

The MAC application software has a good point that no other system has:

     They all have a similar look and feel. Not only can't you get sued for
     copying it, You are encoraged, if not forced, to use it.

This is worth far more than anyone gives it credit. Or maybe they do, that's
why they buy MACs.

Anyone who has a substancial software investment in the Mac will not go out
and buy an IBM, or vice versa, or a NexT or an Amiaga.  Why? No-one wants to
through it all out and start over.  I have a PC, an AMIGA, a UNIX system and
a MAC.  I can show you stuff on the MAC the blows away the pc, stuff on the
pc that blows away the MAC, stuff on the amiga that will knock your socks off,
etc.  Who cares?  Each is a tool. I use each for what it can do best.  Is any
one better than the other? No.

What it comes down to is which machine/software combination is the easiest
to use for the job at hand.  If I could only buy one machine what would I buy?

I don't know.  Probably an Amiga, with a MAC emulator, an ATARI ST emulator,
a PC emulator etc.......... Or to quote an earlier posting:

"Buy an IBM, buy an Amiga, buy a dishwasher......"

I would rather have dishwasher than a computer.
|  Geoffrey S. Mendelson  |  Computer Software Consulting    |    Dr.      |
|  (215) 242-8712         |  IBM Mainframes, Unix, PCs, Macs |    Who      |
|  uunet!gsm001!gsm       |                                  |    Fan  too!|

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (02/10/91)

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>My point?  Good GUI's, good software, etc, are NOT HARDWARE DEPENDENT.
>The Mac's system makes it easier to code one, as most of it comes in rom.
*----
I agree with some of the points you've made in your posting, but I
couldn't let this pass.  What's the difference whether your GUI support
library is in ROM or RAM?  In fact, most of the complaints I hear about
programming the Mac involve the complexity of the ROM calls.  Fortunately,
the better compilers isolate the programmer from that... just like in the
PC family.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

derek@coco2.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.035631.15285@gsm001.uucp> gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S.
Mendelson) writes:
>There is a package for the IBM pc called Ventura Publisher.  It is marketed
>by Xerox. Ventura has a "good" GUI interface.  As a desktop publisher,
>it IMHO beats the pants of of both Quark Xpress, and Pagemaker.
>It is now available for the Mac.  We should see some sparks fly soon.

        I've used Ventura Publisher on a 33MHz '386, and while it does
have its good points, I'd take Mac PageMaker or XPress over it any day.
I don't like its treatment of "frames" or its graphic and text handling.
However, it IS better at doing standardized layouts than those programs,
and I love the way it treats document files, imports and exports.

        I haven't seen the Mac version yet, but I assume its text and
graphics capabilities are improved over the PC.  It should also be MUCH
faster on the Mac.  You're right, we might see sparks...

>|  Geoffrey S. Mendelson  |  Computer Software Consulting    |    Dr.      |

                                                    Derek L.
--
baby, life's what you make it...can't escape it.

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (02/10/91)

>What's the difference whether your GUI support
>library is in ROM or RAM?

       ROMs don't change much.  Either intentionaly such as bug fixes or
unitentionaly due to wild stores.

        A stable base to develop code on is very useful, especially on a
machine without memory protect.

	Lets say, for sake of argument, our GUI support routines take up 128k.
Any module that uses the GUI is by default 128k bigger.  That is 128k more
disk to store it, 128k more ram to run it, and 128k more disk transfer time
to load it.  If you are running 4 programs under a multitasking O.S.
such as multifinder, that 128k becomes 512k.

       Programers, being an efficency based bunch, would try to short cut, or
limit the size of the GUI.  Less size means less function.  Something gets
lost in the process.

       The complexity of the MAC rom calls is due to the amount of function
behind them. The equivalent calls in UNIX (X-windows), ms-dos (Windows)
AMIGA (the native O.S) are just as obscure and hard to use.

	For efficency, I would hope that the ROMS are copied into RAM on
machines with MMUs.  This is because the access time of ram is much faster
than the roms currently in use.  On the other hand using a rom chip is
much cheaper than an mmu. It's sort of a poor man's memory protect.

       When the AMIGA 1000 was released the operating system code was rushed
out the door.  Unable to produce code stable enough for ROMs,
Commodore made a section of the RAM read only.  When you
you booted the machine, you had to boot with a "KICKSTART" disk, then boot
with the operating system.  If you were one of the lucky ones who had a hard
disk, you had to boot with the "KICKSTART" disk, then you could boot from
the floppy to use the hard disk.  To add injury to insult, the "KICKSTART"
process probably added $100 to the price of the machine.

If the original MAC had this feature, GUI or not, it would have never taken
off. The "rest of us" don't want to have to boot our computers twice.
Also at the time of the first MAC another 64k of ram for the rom
images would have added several hundred dollars to the price.  Memory did
not become cheap until IBM and its clones started the incessant demand for it.
Remember that Steve and Steve did not see any need for more than 128k on the
MAC.  They knew about expansion slots.  They just could not conceive that
"the rest of us" would want them.
|  Geoffrey S. Mendelson  |  Computer Software Consulting    |    Dr.      |
|  (215) 242-8712         |  IBM Mainframes, Unix, PCs, Macs |    Who      |
|  uunet!gsm001!gsm       |                                  |    Fan  too!|

fry@zariski.harvard.edu (David Fry) (02/10/91)

Most of the arguments about having the Mac GUI functions in
ROM or RAM is irrelevant because many (most?) of the functions
are patched with routines from the System file (and are stored
in RAM, of course) at runtime.

The effects of the toolbox code getting munged by a rogue
program are no more severe than several other parts of memory
getting stepped on, e.g. low memory globals, stack, etc.

David Fry                               fry@math.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics               fry@huma1.bitnet
Harvard University                      ...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Arnaud Gourdol) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb9.212956.12871@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> berger@iboga (Mike Berger)
writes:
>gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>>My point?  Good GUI's, good software, etc, are NOT HARDWARE DEPENDENT.
>>The Mac's system makes it easier to code one, as most of it comes in rom.
>*----
>I agree with some of the points you've made in your posting, but I
>couldn't let this pass.  What's the difference whether your GUI support
>library is in ROM or RAM?  In fact, most of the complaints I hear about
>programming the Mac involve the complexity of the ROM calls.  Fortunately,
>the better compilers isolate the programmer from that... just like in the
>PC family.

What?!!?? What's in the Macintosh ROM is like a library. You would link it with
the object code of your program if using a "compiler" approach, but the calls
available will be the same and the complexity will be the same. The complexity
surely DON'T come from the fact it's in ROM or RAM. I am not ver well informed
about the PC world, but I think that Windows works very much like the Macintosh
toolbox, that is, it is not linked your program. The difference of course is
that the Macintosh Toolbox is in ROM and Windows is in RAM.

Arnaud.

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Arnaud Gourdol) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb10.023034.858@gsm001.uucp> gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S.
Mendelson) writes:
>>What's the difference whether your GUI support
>>library is in ROM or RAM?
>
>       ROMs don't change much.  Either intentionaly such as bug fixes or
>unitentionaly due to wild stores.
>
>        A stable base to develop code on is very useful, especially on a
>machine without memory protect.

The Macintosh toolbox IS in ROM. But this does not mean that there can't be bug
fixes, new features added, etc. (The same is true for the Amiga). The Macintosh
system allows you to alter the comportement of system calls by defining "Trap
Patches". This features is used to write zillions of Inits AND by Apple to
correct the bugs found in the ROM. The system automaticall installs those
patches at boot time, and of course they reside in RAM. New features can be
added, such as 32 bit Color Quickdraw, sound compression (MACE) and even System
7 which do not requires that you change the ROMs, but however adds thousands of
features.

[Comments about the fact that a library in RAM would have to be duplicated
several times]

This is not necesarily true. One could imagine shared libraries in RAM. In
fact, this is the way it works with the Amiga and the way it was supposed to
work with the NeXT (the feature was not implemented in OS 0.9, I presume it is
now?).

>        For efficency, I would hope that the ROMS are copied into RAM on
>machines with MMUs.  This is because the access time of ram is much faster
>than the roms currently in use.  On the other hand using a rom chip is
>much cheaper than an mmu. It's sort of a poor man's memory protect.

On the original Mac, and I think still on the Mac Classic, the ROM is in fact
faster than the RAM. This is because the RAM is used as a video memory and that
the video chip steals one cycle every four cycles to the processor. Of course,
the video memory don't steal cycles for the ROM, so the code in ROM executes
faster. This is no more true with the Mac II line, because the video RAM is
distinct from the "real" RAM, so there is no cycle stealing. However, this
might be the case for Macintosh with built-in video, such as the Mac II ci, Mac
II si and Mac LC. Besides, I am not sure that ROM chips on the Mac IIs are
slower than RAM chips, but even if that was the case, this would not matter
much, as Mac IIs are equiped with processors with a cache built-in.

>|  Geoffrey S. Mendelson  |  Computer Software Consulting    |    Dr.      |
>|  (215) 242-8712         |  IBM Mainframes, Unix, PCs, Macs |    Who      |
>|  uunet!gsm001!gsm       |                                  |    Fan  too!|

IMHO, the main advantage to have the code in ROM is that it's readily
available. Say you want to display some text in a window. If your system has
standard libraries call that can do this reasonably well, what will you do?
You'll use them, of course. Benefit for you: few line of codes to write.
Benefit for your user: consistency with other application he uses that display
text in a window (they will both do it the same way). If your system has not
standard library, what will you do? Just write all yourself, or use one of the
libraries made by other and link it with your code. This was the case of the
PC-world, not so long ago. Nowadays, things are changing since Windows is
slowly getting standard on PC, so you can now assume your user will have
Windows.
So, what's important is to have a standard library with the system, either in
ROM or RAM. And this library must be well written, ie provide adequate services
to you the programmer and have a consistent look and feel for the user.

BTW, note that all the Macintosh sold now have ROM Simms. This means it's easy
(OK, possible) to change the ROM where the size of the various patches will go
beyond 1 or 2 Megs.

Arnaud.

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (02/12/91)

If you want to reply, use the address francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu.
Don't know why zaphod is getting left off, but it is.

   Mendelson) writes:
   [Comments about the fact that a library in RAM would have to be duplicated
   several times]

   This is not necesarily true. One could imagine shared libraries in RAM. In
   fact, this is the way it works with the Amiga and the way it was supposed to
   work with the NeXT (the feature was not implemented in OS 0.9, I presume it
   is now?).

For that matter, the IBM has always had what amounted to a RAM-based
library: the calls accessed through INT $21.  Mac just has more of it.

--
/=============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (02/14/91)

Mike Berger writes in a message to All

MB> I agree with some of the points you've made in your posting,
MB> but I couldn't let this pass. What's the difference whether your
MB> GUI support library is in ROM or RAM? In fact, most of the complaints
MB> I hear about programming the Mac involve the complexity of the
MB> ROM calls. Fortunately, the better compilers isolate the programmer
MB> from that... just like in the PC family.

The difference is that it runs faster and is absolutely uniform.  Also, because every machine has it, a programmer is nuts if he or she doesn't use it.

No compiler can isolate the programmer from what is considered complicated about the Mac ROM calls (they are called just like any other procedure and in fact parts of the Toolbox are in RAM, not ROM; the difference is largely transparent to the programmer.)  The only thing complicated about the Toolbox is that it is large which puts a burden on the programmer to know a lot going in.  As I said, no compiler can take care of that for you.

--
Jim Spencer - via The Minnesota Macintosh Users Group UUCP-Fido Gateway
UUCP: ...uunet!tcnet!kksys!edgar!mmug!22.510!Jim.Spencer

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (02/16/91)

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>Remember that Steve and Steve did not see any need for more than 128k on the
>MAC.  They knew about expansion slots.  They just could not conceive that
>"the rest of us" would want them.
>--
*----

What I fail to understand is why you feel compelled to defend this
short-sightedness.  Every other computer expert in the world understood
the need.
--

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (02/16/91)

From aritcle <1991Feb15.220523.24037@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
+-----------------
|gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
|>Remember that Steve and Steve did not see any need for more than 128k on the
|>MAC.  They knew about expansion slots.  They just could not conceive that
|>"the rest of us" would want them.
|>--
|*----
|
|What I fail to understand is why you feel compelled to defend this
|short-sightedness.  Every other computer expert in the world understood
|the need.
|--
|        Mike Berger
+-----------------

Mike, with all due respect, I really doubt that "Every other computer expert
in the world" would agree with that.  Let's remember the time frame of which
we are speaking: My Apple ][+ was still relativly state of the art (48 K
with a floppy).  Fact is, the off the shelf mac had just about everything
that 95% of the computer hobbists were putting in the slots of their S-100
systems (which DID still exist, I have proof).

But we all have our gremlins to live with. The ][gs was an attempt to
bring the apple ][ design into the 90s (maybe into the 80s). MS-DOS is
STILL trying to get around the 640K limit (before we laugh, mac users will
probably be in the same boat with the 13 Meg limit in a few years).  The
Mac II line addressed the slot (no pun intended) problem.  Windows 3
is addressing the IBMs interface problems. etc etc

Nothing is perfect and most  operating systems will be FOREVER chained to
their min. configurations or first incarnations. I have no problems with
the "limitations" of my SE/30 and its one slot -- If I did I would buy
somthing with slots. As it is, I haveplenty of unused ports & SCSI addresses
left.

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (02/16/91)

>gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>>Remember that Steve and Steve did not see any need for more than 128k on the
>>MAC.  They knew about expansion slots.  They just could not conceive that
>>"the rest of us" would want them.
>>--
>*----
>
>What I fail to understand is why you feel compelled to defend this
>short-sightedness.  Every other computer expert in the world understood
>the need.

I did not defend it. I no longer have the original post, would you please email
it to me if you have it.  I believe that you are taking me out of context.
What I meant, and obviously I was not completely clear, is that they were
shortsighted. They knew about slots (having put them in apple II's).

My point was that when the MAC was first designed, the designers were so
shortsighted as to feel that 128k was all anyone would ever need. They cannot
claim ignorance as an excuse.

Geoff.
|  Geoffrey S. Mendelson  |  Computer Software Consulting    |    Dr.      |
|  (215) 242-8712         |  IBM Mainframes, Unix, PCs, Macs |    Who      |
|  uunet!gsm001!gsm       |                                  |    Fan  too!|
|          WANTED:  PAL VIDEO TAPES (VHS or BETA) inquire within.          |
|                  Especialy "missing" Dr Who Episodes.                    |

In article <1991Feb15.235111.9859@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) writes:
>bring the apple ][ design into the 90s (maybe into the 80s). MS-DOS is
>STILL trying to get around the 640K limit (before we laugh, mac users will
>probably be in the same boat with the 13 Meg limit in a few years).

Too late.  Optima apparentley allows 128 continuous megabytes, and the newer
macs include a 32-bit memory manager which will allow 4 Gig under VaporWare
7.0

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb15.220523.24037@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> berger@iboga (Mike Berger) writes:
> gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

> > Remember that Steve and Steve did not see any need for more than 128k on
> > the MAC.  They knew about expansion slots.  They just could not conceive
> > that "the rest of us" would want them.

> What I fail to understand is why you feel compelled to defend this short-
> sightedness.  Every other computer expert in the world understood the need.

The memory size was a problem, but there is no need for "expansion" slots
in a Macintosh.  With three different external network plugs plus a variety
of other connectors, any device that you could want can easily be added.
Why should the toaster buyers pay for the slots, power supply, and space that
they will never use?  The only thing that expansion slots have done for the
PC world is create a large number of compatibilty problems.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb17.195352.28702@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>In article <1991Feb15.235111.9859@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) writes:
>>bring the apple ][ design into the 90s (maybe into the 80s). MS-DOS is
>>STILL trying to get around the 640K limit (before we laugh, mac users will
>>probably be in the same boat with the 13 Meg limit in a few years).
>
>Too late.  Optima apparentley allows 128 continuous megabytes, and the newer
>macs include a 32-bit memory manager which will allow 4 Gig under VaporWare
>7.0

I'm guessing that Optima/128 allows 128 meg RAM with the 32-bit clean machines.
For reasons I've never manage to understand, ROM upgrades would be required for
the IIx, cx, and SE/30s out there to use more than 14 or so meg as System
memory.

While the 32 bit memory manager allows a 4 Gig address space, I bet we're only
allocated 1/2 of it.

In article <44352@ut-emx.uucp> awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes:

>I'm guessing that Optima/128 allows 128 meg RAM with the 32-bit clean machines.
>For reasons I've never manage to understand, ROM upgrades would be required for
>the IIx, cx, and SE/30s out there to use more than 14 or so meg as System
>memory.

Well, actually, not so--  'All' you would have to do is place an entirely new
version of the memory manager and bootstrap code (patched to load the new
memory manager) into high memory, and essentially restart the system.
Somehow I doubt Apple is going to do that.

mmcnew@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Monty McNew) (02/20/91)

> gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

> > Remember that Steve and Steve did not see any need for more than
> > 128k on the MAC.

There was only one Steve connected with the short sightedness of 128k on
the original Mac.  Let us just say that his last initial was not a 'W'.
----
ProLine:  mmcnew@pro-odyssey                               Monty S. McNew
Internet: mmcnew@pro-odyssey.cts.com                       @ Pro-Odyssey
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!mmcnew                         707/437-4734
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!mmcnew@nosc.mil                Fairfield, CA