[comp.sys.mac.misc] Advice sought: Mac IIcx output on 35mm slides

derek@coco2.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (02/20/91)

Hello, all--

       We have an old (3-to-5 year) Polaroid FreezeFrame video image
recorder, which we would like to use for 35mm slide production from a
Mac IIcx source (8-bit card, 13" high-res Apple monitor).  Polaroid has told
us that the device cannot be used with a Mac, because the sweep frequencies
don't match (the FreezeFrame was designed for IBM PCs).  Does anyone know of
a way around this incompatability, either through third-party hardware or
software, or modification of existing hardware?

       The recorder can produce 35mm slides or poloroid film; it has an
NTSC signal input, which leads me to believe that a Mac-to-NTSC signal
converter (on a card, or in an external box) could do the trick.  It also
has an RGB RS-170 analog signal input, and an RGB TTL input (for the PC).

       If you have any experience with the Polaroid in question, or similar
equipment, we'd really appreciate any help you can give us.  E-mail or post
replies, whichever is convenient.

                                                Derek L.
--
no .signature from TheNews

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb19.202202.19099@sarah.albany.edu>
derek@coco2.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) writes:
>        The recorder can produce 35mm slides or poloroid film; it has an
> NTSC signal input, which leads me to believe that a Mac-to-NTSC signal
> converter (on a card, or in an external box) could do the trick.  It also
> has an RGB RS-170 analog signal input, and an RGB TTL input (for the PC).

I have a British-made device I use to display a Mac screen on a
television. It's the Neotech Colour Video Encoder, marketed in the U.S. by
Advent Computer Products. It takes the signal from any video card that
supports Apple's "sense line" protocol (Apple 8.24, 8.24GC, Radius
DirectColor/GX, a couple of others) and converts it into an NTSC composite
signal or a SuperVHS signal. I don't have much experience with equivalent
products, but people who do and see the Neotech invariably remark on how
steady the image is. The first unit I got had some color problems, but
Mark Lebar at Advent provided outstanding assistance in getting me a
working unit. The box runs about $400 and comes without cables; you'll
need to get your own cable to connect the encoder to your TV or whatever.
It's also available in a PAL version; availability is probably dependent
on the country your distributor is in.

A couple of things to watch out for:

Your monitor cable must have all 15 pins connected. The video card uses
the extra lines to determine what kind of display device it is attached to.

The encoder has a second port to pass the signal on to another monitor.
This lets someone giving a presentation attach a small monitor for his own
use, so he doesn't have to look over his shoulder at the large screen. The
output signal, however, is at a lower scan rate than a Mac monitor; you'll
have to use a color multisync monitor of some sort.

Contact info for the U.S. distributor:

Mark Lebar
Advent Computer Products
449 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 213
Encinitas, CA 92024

phone: (619) 942-8456

I have no connection with Neotech or Advent other than as a satiated
customer.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard