[comp.sys.mac.misc] SoundEdit update, Sound driver software

sm196103@seas.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky) (02/18/91)

I have seen references to a newer version of Soundedit than I have (2.0)
and was wondering first of all, if someone could tell me what the newest
version is/send it to me.  Second, My boss just purchased QuickMail which
has the capability to send voice mail using the Farallon MacRecorder
hardware and sound driver software.

I noticed that with my original SoundEdit application, nothing was sent
with it except the Hypercard Stacks.  No sound driver software was
included on the disks (I assume the the sound driver is a system document
that is put in the system folder.).

If you know of this little driver, could you let me know how you got it
or send it to me direct at:

sm196103@seas.gwu.edu

I would appreciate.  My last resort is asking Farallon for the upgrade and
the sound driver but that would take weeks as opposed to a couple of days
through the net.

Thanx in advance for any help you can give me....

Scott

Once again, my request is for:

The newest version number or newest version program for SoundEdit (I have 2.0)
The sound driver resource for the system folder.

Thanx!
--
Scott Cherkofsky			"The experience of going through
sm196103@seas.GWU.edu			 life may be intended as a warning

n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent Burton) (02/18/91)

for info on the sound driver, see Inside Macintosh Vol. II, p. 223.
The sound driver is part of the MacOS, so if you have a system file, you
already have the sound driver...

             +----------------------+--------------------------+
             | Brent P. Burton      | n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu   |
             | Texas A&M University | Computer Science/Physics |
             +----------------------+--------------------------+

feinberg@acsu.buffalo.edu (john a feinberg) (02/18/91)

The newest SoundEdit program is 2.0.3.  I called Farallon to ask if it was
available right after I heard about it on the net, and they mailed me a free
copy about a week later.

The progam lets you use the built-in input on the IIsi and the LC with the
program (it shows up as a little picture of a mike, next to the printer port
picture and the modem port picture).  However and unfortunately, the program
will not let you use the built-in input for stereo recording; mono only.  So you
can't use the built-in input, in conjunction with one MacRecorder, to record
stereo sound.  The built-in input has a slightly lower sound quality than the
MacRecorder does, when using the SoundEdit software.

The update also comes with a bit of software that lets you use the MacRecorder
as if it were a built-in input device on the sound CDev of the control panel
(6.0.7 & (soon to come!) above).  It shows up as a picture of Nipper, next to
the expected microphone.  And, it really works!

John Feinberg
SUNY Buffalo

gavin@ramsay.UUCP (Gavin Eadie) (02/18/91)

In article <60359@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, feinberg@acsu.buffalo.edu (john a feinberg) writes:

> The update also comes with a bit of software that lets you use the MacRecorder
> as if it were a built-in input device on the sound CDev of the control panel
> (6.0.7 & (soon to come!) above).  It shows up as a picture of Nipper, next to
> the expected microphone.  And, it really works!

	It didn't work with System 7.0b1, but it *does* work with System 7.0b4

Gavin Eadie                                        Ramsay Consulting
                                                   507 Second Street
(313) 665-2819                                   Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Cherry@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (J. Michael Cherry) (02/21/91)

In article <2743@sparko.gwu.edu> sm196103@seas.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky)
writes:
> I would appreciate.  My last resort is asking Farallon for the upgrade and
> the sound driver but that would take weeks as opposed to a couple of days
> through the net.

Not True. I called Farallon last Wednesday and yesterday (Tuesday, 6 days
later) I received the new software which includes the new driver that lets
any old Macintosh act as an LC or IIsi as far as sound input is concerned.
Great Stuff! The disk also includes new XCMDs and XFCNs for use with
HyperCard 2.

Farallon's telephone number is 415-596-9000. They will ask for the serial
number off your MacRecorder. I have no association to Farallon other than
purchasing their products.

Mike Cherry
cherry@frodo.mgh.harvard.edu
Department of Molecular Biology