[comp.sys.mac.misc] Memory Manager and RAM > 14 Mbyte

matoh@sssab.se (Mats Ohrman) (02/20/91)

russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>In article <44352@ut-emx.uucp> awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes:
>>I'm guessing that Optima/128 allows 128 meg RAM with the 32-bit
>>clean machines.  For reasons I've never manage to understand, ROM
>>upgrades would be required for the IIx, cx, and SE/30s out there to
>>use more than 14 or so meg as System memory.

>Well, actually, not so--  'All' you would have to do is place an entirely new
>version of the memory manager and bootstrap code (patched to load the new
>memory manager) into high memory, and essentially restart the system.
>Somehow I doubt Apple is going to do that.

Does thet mean thet the memory-manager-init that replaces the faulty memory
manager for the 32-bit clean machines *also* would help me break the 14 M
limit om my SE-30? Wow!

:-) :-) :-)

--
     _
Mats Ohrman     Scandinavian System Support AB       E-mail:   matoh@sssab.se

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (02/22/91)

In article <3a71js6fdC@herkules.sssab.se> matoh@sssab.se writes:

>Does thet mean thet the memory-manager-init that replaces the faulty memory
>manager for the 32-bit clean machines *also* would help me break the 14 M
>limit om my SE-30? Wow!

A friend of mine passed on a message from a mutual friend at Apple who works in
the System software dev section that said that the MMinit _doesn't_ fix the
memory manager.